Showing Collections: 1 - 25 of 25
British Diplomatic Oral History Programme
The programme comprises transcripts of interviews with senior diplomats.
Notes of Two Conversations with Lord Brimelow
Philip Noel-Baker Associated
The Papers of Alexander Wigram Allen Leeper
This collection contains mostly personal papers such as diaries and correspondence with family and friends, although there is some correspondence with colleagues. The contents cover Leeper's diplomatic career which included the Paris Peace Conference.
The Papers of Baron Soames
The Papers of Joseph Ford
Ford's papers consist of three diaries kept during his postings, and a later memoir of him by his son.
The Papers of Lord Vansittart of Denham
The Papers of Maurice Hankey
The Papers of Rowland Kenney and Kit Kenney
Comprising official papers, correspondence and notebooks mainly relating to Norway and Finland.
The papers focus on Rowland Kenney's work in Norway during the two World Wars and on Kit Kenney's work in Finland and Norway during the Second World War.
The Papers of Sir Alexander George Montagu Cadogan
The collection includes scrapbooks containing photographs and press cuttings; family and professional correspondence; speeches and articles; official documents relating to Foreign Office and Suez Canal Company business; and draft notes for Cadogan's autobiography. A series of frank personal diaries with almost daily entries cover Cadogan's career and private life from his appointment as Minister to China in 1933 to his retirement.
The Papers of Sir Andrew Graham Gilchrist
Military, diplomatic and literary papers, 1937-93.
The Papers of Sir Auckland Campbell Geddes
This collection mainly consists of private papers and correspondence, 1885-1954, and family papers, 1783-1963. The material, especially the ministerial and ambassadorial papers, collected together by David Geddes provides an insight into the 1910s and 1920s. The collection also includes Geddes' writings on medical, spiritual and military matters.
The Papers of Sir Donald Hopson
Comprising correspondence and papers about his military and diplomatic careers, press cuttings, photographs and artefacts.
With Annalise Hopson's later correspondence and papers, 1971-99.
The Papers of Sir Eric Phipps
The papers largely consist of Phipps' correspondence on subjects connected to his diplomatic career as well as associated papers. The majority of the material comes from the 1920s and 1930s. Correspondants include Neville Chamberlain, Ramsey Macdonald, Austen Chamberlain, Anthony Eden, Lord Halifax, Sir Maurice Hankey as well as Buckingham Palace and European embassies.
The Papers of Sir Eugen Millington-Drake
The Papers of Sir Frank Lascelles
The papers consist of copies of personal papers from various stages in Lascelles's career, and other material relating to Lascelles, including: letters and diary from his posting to Paris [France] during the Franco-Prussian War and at the beginning and end of his position as Ambassador to Germany; the diary of his family's visit to Iran in 1892; press cuttings of obituaries for Lascelles.
The Papers of Sir Frank Roberts
The Papers of Sir Horace Seymour
This collection consists of correspondence, papers and photographs. The collection covers the period from 1930-1981 and is made up largely of correspondence to and from Sir Horace and Lady Seymour.
The Papers of Sir Hughe Knatchbull-Hugessen
The volumes of diaries ranging from 1915 to 1952 span his diplomatic career, and the correspondence is mainly of the years 1935-1937. Unfortunately, little exists from the World War II period when he was ambassador at Ankara and the events of Operation Cicero.
The Papers of Sir John Colville
The material held at Churchill Archives Centre mainly consists of Colville's diaries. They provide an insight into the decision-making of three Prime Ministers and the meetings held with other top officials, as well as the lives of key figures during World War II, and its aftermath.
The Papers of Sir Malcolm Robertson
Collection includes a copy of Robertson's autobiography, ca. 1945; correspondence with his mother and wife, 1900-1946; papers relating to Robertson's Foreign Office career; speeches and articles; and papers relating to later aspects of Robertson's career.
The Papers of Sir Michael Franklin
The collection relates primarily to Sir Michael’s involvement with policy on Europe. It includes his diaries from 1961-4, and a memoir of his time at the Cabinet Office from 1977-81. This memoir was written by Sir Michael in retirement.
The Papers of Sir Nicholas and Lady (Minna) O'Conor
Includes diaries, family and diplomatic correspondence of Sir Nicholas O'Conor; and diaries, personal and literary papers of Lady (Minna) O'Conor
The Papers of Sir Roger Stevens
The Papers of Sir Winston Churchill
- International relations 9
- Foreign policy 7
- Politics 5
- Russia 5
- Second World War (1939-1945) 5
- Western Europe 4
- Government policy 3
- Argentina 2
- China 2
- Civil defence 2
- Defence 2
- East West relations 2
- Economic policy 2
- European cooperation 2
- Fascism 2
- First World War (1914-1918) 2
- France 2
- Germany 2
- Intelligence 2
- Monarchy 2
- Sweden 2
- War crimes 2
- Agriculture 1
- Armed forces 1
- Army personnel 1
- Broadcasting 1
- Civil service 1
- Colonial countries 1
- Communism 1
- Dardanelles campaign (1915-1916) 1
- Diaries 1
- Disarmament 1
- European administration 1
- Finland 1
- Government departments 1
- Health 1
- India 1
- Industrial development 1
- Industrial policy 1
- Intergovernmental organizations 1
- International cooperation 1
- Iran 1
- Ireland 1
- Journalism 1
- Literature 1
- Medical profession 1
- Military operations 1
- Norway 1
- Nuclear bomb 1
- Poland 1
- Propaganda 1
- State security 1
- Switzerland 1
- Tehran 1
- Trade unions 1
- Turkey 1
- United States 1
- Uruguay 1
- Vietnam 1 ∧ less
- Army 2
- Churchill, Winston Leonard Spencer, Sir, 1874 - 1965 (Knight, statesman and historian) 2
- Conservative Party 2
- Foreign Office 2
- Soames, Arthur Christopher John, 1920 - 1987 (Baron Soames of Fletching, politician) 2
- Soames, Mary, Dame, 1922 - 2014 (née Churchill, writer, wife of Baron Soames) 2
- Vansittart, Robert Gilbert, 1881 - 1957 (1st Baron Vansittart of Denham, diplomat) 2
- Baker, Philip John Noel (1889-1982, Baron Noel-Baker, politician) 1
- Brimelow, Thomas, 1915 - 1995 (Baron Brimelow of Tyldesley) 1
- Cadogan, Alexander George Montagu, Sir, 1884 - 1968 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Churchill College 1
- Churchill, Clementine Ogilvy Spencer (1885-1977, née Hozier, Baroness Spencer-Churchill of Chartwell) 1
- Colville, John Rupert, Sir, 1915 - 1987 (Knight, civil servant) 1
- Drake, Eugen John Henry Vanderstegen Millington, Sir (1889-1972, knight, diplomat) 1
- Eden, Robert Anthony, 1897 - 1977 (1st Earl of Avon, statesman) 1
- Ford, Joseph Francis, 1912 - 1993 (diplomat) 1
- Franklin, Michael David Milroy, Sir, 1927 - 2019 (Knight, Civil Servant) 1
- Geddes, Auckland Campbell, 1879 - 1954 (1st Baron Geddes, politician) 1
- Gilchrist, Andrew Graham, Sir, 1910 - 1993 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Hopson, Donald Charles, Sir, 1915 - 1974 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Hugessen, Hughe Montgomery Knatchbull, Sir (1886-1971, knight, diplomat) 1
- Kenney, Kit, 1913 - 1988 (diplomat) 1
- Kenney, Rowland, 1882 - 1961 (journalist and diplomat) 1
- Lascelles, Frank Cavendish, Sir, 1841 - 1920 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Leeper, Alexander Wigram Allen, 1887 - 1935 (diplomat) 1
- Liberal Party 1
- O'Conor, Minna, fl1865 - 1933 (Lady O'Conor) 1
- O'Conor, Nicholas Roderick, Sir, 1843 - 1908 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Phipps, Eric Clare Edmund, Sir, 1875 - 1945 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Roberts, Frank Kenyon, Sir, 1907 - 1998 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Robertson, Malcolm Arnold, Sir, 1877 - 1951 (Knight, Civil Servant, MP) 1
- Royal Air Force 1
- Royal Navy 1
- Seymour, Horace James, Sir, 1885 - 1978 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Stevens, Roger Bentham, Sir, 1906 - 1980 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- United Nations 1
- Vansittart, Nicholas, 1766 - 1851 (Baron Bexley, statesman) 1 ∧ less