Showing Collections: 1 - 16 of 16
Material relating to the work of Prof. G.E. Moore and Dr. Ludwig Wittgenstein, including notes taken during their lectures and notes on Wittgenstein's 'Blue' and 'Brown' books.
Early notebooks, notes for Cook's lectures, and material relating to Theocritus.
Contains 179 folios: a series of 32 philosophical disputations, nos 1-25 on the soul (fos 4-133) and nos 26-32 on Aristotle's Metaphysics (fos 134-167). On fos 169-173 is an analytical table of the series, imperfect at the end. Attached to fo. 178 is a broadside, Assertiones ex universa philosophia decerptae, by John Ducket (Lagos, 1655).
Contains notes and extracts on philosophy, astronomy, natural history and medicine. fo. 2: 'Edmundus Lëus 1607'.
In Latin and Greek.
MS.Add.8875 is comprised of Moore's philosophical papers, and now forms sections 10-16. It includes contemporary notes of Wittgenstein's lectures, the autographs of his 1899 London lectures, and papers for the Moral Sciences Club.
MS.Add.8330 contains Moore's personal and family papers, and his correspondence (sections 1-9), as well as books from his library (section 17).
Lectures on Greek philosophy delivered by Henry Jackson, Michaelmas term, 1873, 154 folios. The text is on the recto. On the verso are headings and references.
184 folios. Includes: (fo. 2) title page; (fo. 2v) rough notes; (fo. 3) notes by Richard Watson of lectures given by Gerras Holmes on natural philosophy; (fo. 66) notes by Watson of lectures by Holmes on optics; (fo. 134) notes by Watson of lectures by Holmes on hydrostatics; (fo. 180v) 'Lectures read by Mr. Holmes of Emanuel College in Cambridge', 'Cambridge 31' and scribblings; (fo. 184) 'twells Pigott Pigott Burslem Twells'.
Draft of Samuel Butler's Unconscious Memory, 397 folios.
- Philosophy 14
- Lectures 3
- Natural philosophy 2
- Antiquities 1
- Archaeology 1
- Arts 1
- Astronomy 1
- Education 1
- Essays 1
- Ethics 1
- Geography 1
- Greece 1
- History 1
- Hydrostatics 1
- Italy 1
- Literature 1
- Mechanics 1
- Medical sciences 1
- Memorization 1
- Natural history 1
- Optics 1
- Romans 1
- Salamanca 1
- Science 1
- Spilsby, Lincolnshire 1 ∧ less
- English 15
- Italian 1
- Latin 1
- Moore, George Edward, 1873-1958 (philosopher) 4
- Aristotle, 384-322 BC (philosopher) 3
- Wittgenstein, Ludwig Josef Johann, 1889-1951 (philosopher) 2
- Butler, Samuel, 1835-1902 (writer and artist) 1
- Cook, Arthur Bernard, 1868-1952 (classical archaeologist) 1
- Flamsteed, John, 1646-1719 (astronomer) 1
- Giles, Peter, 1860-1935 (philologist) 1
- Hassall, Christopher Vernon, 1912-1963 (writer and librettist) 1
- Heitz, Johann Heinrich von Emil, 1825-1890 (philosopher) 1
- Holroyd, Sir Michael de Courcy Fraser, b 1935 (Knight, biographer) 1
- Jackson, Henry, 1839-1921 (classicist) 1
- Lazerowitz, Alice Ambrose, 1906-2001 (philosopher) 1
- Leigh, Edmund, fl 1607 1
- Lucattinis, Domenico de, fl 1670 1
- Moore, Dorothy Mildred, 1892-1977 (wife of George Edward Moore) 1
- Moore, Nicholas, 1918-1986 (poet) 1
- Moore, Timothy, 1922-2003 (composer) 1
- Newton, Sir Isaac, 1642-1727 (Knight, natural philosopher and mathematician) 1
- Rouse, William Henry Denham, 1863-1950 (scholar and eduational reformer) 1
- Ryle, Gilbert, 1900-1976 (philosopher) 1
- University of Cambridge 1
- Watson, Richard, 1737-1816 (Bishop of Llandaff) 1
- Westminster School 1
- Whiteside, John, 1680-1729 (museum curator and experimental philosopher) 1
- Williams, Ralph Vaughan, 1872 - 1958 (composer) 1
- Williamson, Richard, fl 1826 (clergyman and headmaster) 1
- Woolf, Leonard Sidney, 1880-1969 (editor, author and colonial civil servant) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.