Archives of the Faculty of Classics, 1923 - 1993
Scope and Contents
The archives cover faculty governance, award of graduate degrees and accommodation.
- 1923 - 1993
- University of Cambridge. Faculty of Classics (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Conditions Governing Use
Requests to publish text should be addressed to the Keeper of University Archives, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR.
Biographical / Historical
The Regius Professorship of Greek was established in 1504 by Henry VIII with a stipend of £40 per annum and further endowed in 1848 with a canonry at Ely Cathedral (transferred in 1899 to the Ely Professorship of Divinity). The Kennedy Professorship of Latin was founded by funds gathered by subscriptions from the friends and former pupils of Benjamin Hall Kennedy on his retirement in 1865 from the Headmastership of Shrewsbury School, with the object of founding a chair in Latin named after him. The Professorship was established by grace of 29 April 1869, and the stipend augmented by the University in 1872. The Classical Tripos was established in 1822 and first examined in 1824. Until 1850 candidates had first to have obtained honours in Mathematics. A two-part tripos was instituted in 1881, giving scope for ancient history and philosophy in what was otherwise a markedly linguistic syllabus. The Faculty of Classics was housed in rooms in Mill Lane, Laundress Lane, Silver Street and Corn Exchange Street until 1981 when it moved into purpose-built accommodation on the Sidgwick Site. For further background information, see the following publications: C.O. Brink, English classical scholarship: historical reflections on Bentley, Porson and Housman (Cambridge University Press, 1986); C. Stray (ed.) Classics in 19th and 20th century Cambridge : curriculum, culture and community (Cambridge Philological Society, 1999); C. Stray 'A Parochial Anomaly: The Classical Tripos 1822-1900' in C. Stray and J. Smith (eds.) Teaching and Learning in 19th-century Cambridge (Boydell and Brewer, 2001) pp. 31-44.
2 linear metre(s) : paper
Language of Materials
The records have been arranged in broad categories according to the functional classification designed for departments and faculties, hence the absence of certain sections for which no records have as yet been transferred.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
CLAS 1/1 were transferred by Mrs P. Easterling, Secretary to the Faculty Board on 25 May 1978. The remainder were transferred by Miss Daphne Ridge, Secretary, Faculty of Classics, on 16 July 2003 and 28 Jan. 2004.
The records have been appraised and transferred according to the Faculty records retention schedule.
The online catalogue was completed in Nov. 2003 and emended in July 2004 and February 2005.
Faculty of Classics
Finding aid date