Skip to main content

Archives of the Department of Chemical Engineering, 1946 - 1989

Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/CENG

Scope and Contents

The records are largely concerned with the administration of the department and the teaching and examining of students.


  • Creation: 1946 - 1989


Conditions Governing Access

Closure periods of 40 years are applied to Syndicate minutes, by order of the Syndicate, and 80 years to records containing personal data, under data protection legislation. Restrictions are clearly indicated in catalogue entries.

Conditions Governing Use

Requests to publish text should be addressed to the Keeper of University Archives, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR.

Biographical / Historical

The Department was established in October 1945, alongside a Chair in Chemical Engineering, with funding from the Shell Group of Oil Companies. Terence Robert Corelli Fox was the first professor. It was not assigned to any Faculty, but administered instead by a Syndicate. From the outset, however, it was part of the School of Physical Sciences. The Department was housed in temporary accommodation on a site between Tennis Court Road and Trumpington Street until 1959 when it moved into a new building on Pembroke Street, now part of the New Museums Site. For further background information, see P.V. Dankwerts "Chemical Engineering comes to Cambridge" in the Cambridge Review, Jan. 1983, pp.53-5.


7 linear metre(s) : paper

Language of Materials



Records are arranged into broad categories by function.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

The records are in good physical condition throughout.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred 20 Apr. 2000 by Miss Linda Craft, Secretary to the Head of the Department of Chemical Engineering, New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge. The records are a permanent transfer to the University Archives.


Further accruals are expected.

Related Materials

See also among the University Archives: UA O.XIV.54A; P.XXV.


The online catalogue was completed in 2001 and emended in Feb. 2005.


Department of Chemical Engineering

Finding aid date

2001-03-02 14:59:07+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom