Archives of the Faculty of Archaeology and Anthropology, 1915 - 2017
Scope and Contents
The majority of records cover faculty governance and administration.
- 1915 - 2017
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
The Faculty was established in 1926 but both disciplines had been studied in Cambridge since the later nineteenth century, drawing on the ethnological collections housed in the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology (founded 1884). Research pioneers in Archaeology included H.M. Chadwick and in Anthropology A.C. Haddon, William Ridgeway and J.G. Frazer. The Anthropological Tripos was established in 1915; the first class-lists appearing in 1921. The Archaeological and Anthropological Tripos succeeded it in 1928. In 2011, the Faculty of Archaeology and Anthropology amalgamated with the Faculty of Politics, Psychology, Sociology and International Studies. The latter had been set up in 2008 to house three academic departments (Politics and International Studies, Social and Developmental Psychology and Sociology) plus the Centre for Family Research. The new faculty was named the Faculty of Human, Social and Political Science. A new tripos - the Human, Social, and Political Sciences Tripos - was launched in 2011 and the Archaeological and Anthropological Tripos suppressed. Originally a single department within the new faculty, the Department of Archaeology and Anthropology was dissolved in 2017 and replaced by two departments: Archaeology (including Biological Anthropology) and Social Anthropology. The Archaeology Tripos, incorporating papers in Biological Anthropology, was launched in 2017. Anthropology was taught under the auspices of the Board of Anthropological Studies from 1904-20. Thereafter it was joined by Archaeology and taught under the Board of Archaeological and Anthropological Studies, 1920-6; the Faculty Board of Archaeology and Anthropology, 1926-2012; and the Faculty of Human, Social and Political Science, 2012- .
1.5 cubic metre(s) : paper
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
ARAN 1/1/1, 3-10 (formerly catalogued as Min.V.92-101) transferred to the University Archives by Dr J. Alexander, Secretary of the Faculty of Archaeology and Anthropology, on 27 May 1978; ARAN 1/1/2 (formerly catalogued as Min.V.92A) transferred by Dr J.D. Pickles, Registry, on 8 September 1982. ARAN 6/3 transferred by Dr J.D. Pickles on 17 June 2021. Remainder of archive transferred by Mr Aidan Baker, Haddon Library, on 21 March 2019 and Ms Marie Butcher, Faculty of Human, Social and Political Science, on 9 April 2019.
This online catalogue was completed in September 2019.
Faculty of Archaeology and Anthropology
Finding aid date