Early letters from London and elsewhere, circa 1938 (copies of originals of 1838-1895)
Scope and Contents
Typescript copies of miscellaneous letters and a few other documents of 1838-1860 and 1895. Many of the letters are from London to China and Hong Kong, but there are also letters from other places in Great Britain, and from Ceylon, China, India and Singapore. The principal correspondents are David Jardine, William Jardine, Alexander Matheson, Donald Matheson and James Matheson. The other correspondents include J.C. Bowring, A.G. Dallas, S. Drincker, Frederick Firth, H.R. Hedges, Andrew Jardine, Joseph Jardine, Andrew Johnstone, William Keswick, Captain Thomas Larkins, D.W. Matheson, Hugh Matheson, Alexander Perceval, C.T. Still, Elizabeth Tinning, Thos. B. White, John Williams, P. Williams and Peter Young. There is no indication of when the copies were made.
- circa 1938 (copies of originals of 1838-1895)
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 folder(s) (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Copies
Many of the letters are also found in K3, and the two files probably originate from the same period.
- Bowring, John Charles, 1821-1893 (merchant)
- Dallas, Alexander Grant, 1816-1882 (merchant)
- Jardine, Andrew, 1812-1881 (merchant)
- Jardine, David, 1818-1856 (merchant)
- Jardine, Joseph, 1822-1861 (merchant)
- Johnstone, Andrew, 1798-1857 (merchant)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Matheson, Donald, 1819-1901 (merchant)
- Matheson, Sir Alexander, 1805-1886 (1st Baronet, merchant and banker)
- Perceval, Alexander, 1821-1866 (merchant)