Property letters from Shanghai to Hankow, 13 Apr. 1946-7 Sep. 1954
Scope and Contents
Copies of property letters from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to Jardine Matheson, Hankow, with enclosed letters and papers. Many of the letters do not give the name of the sender or the recipient.
1. Letters nos O.P. 1-15 and H.O.P. 16-18 from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai to Jardine Matheson, Hankow, 13 April-12 December 1946. Some of the letters are signed by J.H. Keswick, H.H. Lennox and W.B. Rigden, and one letter is addressed to W.S. Dupree.
2. Letter no. H.O.P. 19 from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to Jardine Matheson, Hankow, 30 April 1947.
1. Letters nos P.1-28 from R. Gordon, J.H. Keswick and H.H. Lennox to R.H. Box, W.S. Dupree and Captain J. Horner-Smith, 4 January-5 December 1946.
2 Letters nos P.29-59 from J.H. Keswick (mainly) and F.A. Pollock to J. Horner-Smith, 7 January-12 December 1947.
3. Letters nos P.59-96 from J.H. Keswick and F.A. Pollock to J. Horner-Smith and A.G. Jacobs, 6 January-2 December 1948.
4. Letters nos P.1-6 from J.H. Keswick to A.G. Jacobs, 3 February-8 December 1949.
5. Letters nos P.1-18 from J.H. Keswick (mainly) and H.H. Lennox to A.G. Jacobs, 3 January-14 December 1950.
6. Letters nos P.1-5 and P.7-51 from R. Gordon and H.H. Lennox to W.J. Wu, 29 January-31 December 1951.
7. Letters nos P.52-108 from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai to Jardine Matheson, Hankow, 7 January-26 December 1952. There are twelve letters signed by either R. Gordon or H.H. Lennox, and six letters addressed to W.J. Wu.
8. Letters nos P.1-16 from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to Jardine Matheson, Hankow, 16 January-31 August 1953. There are two letters signed by H.H. Lennox, and one letter addressed to W.J. Wu.
9. Letters nos P.1-13 from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to Jardine Matheson, Hankow, 18 January-7 September 1954. There are two letters signed by Thomas Beesley.
Some of the original letter numbers have been changed: P.16, 16 May 1946, was originally P.15; P.60, 14 January 1948, was semi-official letter no. 229; and P.79, 13 July 1948, was P. No. 305. Letter no. P.59, 6 January 1948, is labelled in pencil '?60'.
The file include the following subjects (among others):
C: Castlemilk Estate; Castlemilk Estate - destroyed property; Changsha Bund Road; Changsha property; Chungking properties.
E: Ewo Hong site.
F: Falconer Estate; Dr J. Falconer's Trust.
G: Godowns A, B, C and D; Godowns H, I, J and K.
H: Hankow property; Hankow property sales; Hong Garden, Jardine Estate; Howard Estate.
I: Ichang properties.
J: Jardine Estate.
L: No. 2 Lockerbie Road, Castlemilk Estate; Lot No. 24 - vacant land; Lots Nos 39-57, S.A.D. 3.
M: Mackenzie's Ichang property; Ming Sung Industrial Co. Ltd leases.
R; Registration of property.
W: Wayloo Building; Henry Whistler Estate, Hankow; ex-wood oil installation site, Hankow; Wuchang property.
The ring-binder is labelled 'Shanghai to Hankow - Property Letters H.O.P. 1 onwards. File I'.
- 13 Apr. 1946-7 Sep. 1954
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 17 April 2012.
Existence and Location of Copies
J2/30, J2/34 and J2/38 contain copies of many of the property letters of 1948-1952.
- Beesley, Thomas, b 1905
- Box, Reginald Holyoake, 1890-1972 (businessman)
- Dupree, William Sherlock, 1881-1975 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Jacobs, Archibald Gordon, 1898-1964 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Rigden, William Bartholomew, b 1891
- Wu, Wei-Jou, b 1896