Property correspondence between Hong Kong and Canton, Swatow, Taipei and Tientsin, 1952
Scope and Contents
Property correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and Jardine Matheson, Canton, Swatow, Taipei and Tientsin, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Original letters nos P.1-19 from Conant Lee, Canton, to J.H. Keswick, Hong Kong, 26 May-9 December 1952.
2. Copies of letters nos P.1-16 from J.H. Keswick (mainly) and E.F. Watts, Hong Kong, to Conant Lee, Canton, 4 April-17 December 1952.
The subjects covered include the Fook Hing Road Godown; godown retaining wall; Military Control Commission, Foreign Affairs Bureau; Ping Shek Hong; Shameen property, including taxes; Tai Chung Hau Godown; and the United Office of Basic Unions in Shameen Area.
1. Original letters nos P.13 and P.16 from Yew Ah Kow, Swatow, to J.H. Keswick, Hong Kong, 12 and 28 August 1952.
2. Copies of letters nos P.1-7 from J.H. Keswick and E.F. Watts, Hong Kong, to Yew Ah Kow, Swatow, 11 June-28 October 1952.
The subjects covered include the bungalow; Godown No. 53; property valuations; and Swatow properties.
1. Original letters nos P.1-18 from I.F. Aucott and B.E. Bolton, Taipei, to J.H. Keswick, Hong Kong, 30 January-19 December 1952.
2. Copies of letters nos P.1-16 from J.H. Keswick, H.H. Lennox and E.F. Watts, Hong Kong, to B.E. Bolton, Taipei, 23 January-24 December 1952.
The subjects covered include the Asiatic Petroleum Co.'s house, Tamsui; C.B. Campbell's house; junior mess, Hong building; Shell House, Tamsui; staff housing; Tamsui properties; title deeds of tea factory; and typhoon insurance.
1. Original letters nos P.1-4 from Alex Kidd, Tientsin, to J.H. Keswick, Hong Kong, 8 April-22 September 1952.
2. Copies of letters nos P.1-5 from J.H. Keswick and H.H. Lennox, Hong Kong, to Alex Kidd, Tientsin, 21 March-31 October 1952.
The subjects covered include Tientsin property valuations and the Waller Estate.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 September 2011.
Existence and Location of Copies
J2/55 contains copies of the letters from Tientsin to Hong Kong.