Property correspondence between Hong Kong and Shanghai and Hankow, Taipei and Tientsin, 1948-1949
Scope and Contents
Property correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai, and Jardine Matheson, Hankow, Taipei and Tientsin, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Copies of an unnumbered letter from D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, to L.G. Frost, Tientsin, 14 December 1948, and nos P.1-5 from R. Gordon, Hong Kong, to Frost, Tientsin, 30 May-8 December 1949.
2. An original unnumbered letter from L.G. Frost, Tientsin, to D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, 1 December 1948, and original letters nos P.1-2 from L.G. Frost, Tientsin, to R. Gordon, Hong Kong, 29 June 1949 and 1 July 1949.
3. Copies of letters nos P.49-58, from J.H. Keswick and F.A. Pollock, Shanghai, to L.G. Frost and H.H. Tod, Tientsin, 7 January-15 December 1948, and P.1-14, from Keswick to Frost, 15 January-15 December 1949.
4. Copies of letters nos P.53-63, from L.G. Frost and H.H. Tod, Tientsin, to J.H. Keswick, Shanghai, 7 January-9 December 1948, and P.1-16, from Frost to Keswick, 15 March-7 December 1949.
The subjects covered include the acquisition of a Peking house; Ewo Lodge; Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. Ltd godowns; insurance; staff residences; title deeds; Tongku properties; and the Hilda Waller Estate, Taku Road.
1. Copies of letters nos P.1, from D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, to D.I. Bosanquet, Taipei, 4 January 1949; P.2, from R. Gordon to D.I. Bosanquet, 28 January 1949; and P.3, from R. Gordon to B.E. Bolton, 23 June 1949.
2. Original letters nos P.1-2, from D.I. Bosanquet, Taipei, to D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, 24 January 1949 and 11 February 1949, and P.3-4, from B.E. Bolton, Taipei, to R. Gordon, Hong Kong, 30 June 1949 and 1 August 1949.
3. Copies of letters nos P.1-14, from J.H. Keswick and F.A. Pollock, Shanghai, to B.E. Bolton and D.I. Bosanquet, Taipei, 9 March-23 December 1948, and P.1-8, from Keswick to Bolton and Bosanquet, 15 January-5 April 1949.
4. Copies of letters nos P.1-15, from Jardine Matheson, Taipei, to J.H. Keswick and F.A. Pollock, Shanghai, 6 April-31 December 1948, and P.1-15 from Jardine Matheson, Taipei, to J.H. Keswick, Shanghai, 26 January-25 April 1949. The letters are unsigned, but some are from B.E. Bolton.
The subjects covered include the Customs' property at Tamsui; Davis's house; factory site; housing site; Keelung property; office reconstruction; property records; purchase of land; Shell House, Tamsui; staff accommodation; Tamsui Lot 'E'; Tamsui properties; title deeds; and Twatutia (Daitotei) Lot No. Front Bund Lot 'A'.
1. Original unnumbered letters from A.G. Jacobs, Hankow, to D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, 18 December 1948, 7 January 1949 and 26 January 1949.
2. Copies of unnumbered letters from D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, 28 December 1948 and 4 February 1949, and R. Gordon, Hong Kong, 24 January 1949, to A.G. Jacobs, Hankow.
3. Copies of letters nos HP-002-013 from A.G. Jacobs, Hankow, to J.H. Keswick, Shanghai, 20 January-17 December 1949.
4. Copies of letters nos P.1-6 from J.H. Keswick, Shanghai, to A.G. Jacobs, Hankow, 3 February-8 December 1949.
5. Copies of letters nos P.59-96 from J.H. Keswick and F.A. Pollock, Shanghai, to Captain J. Horner-Smith and A.G. Jacobs, Hankow, 6 January-2 December 1948.
6. Copies of letters P. No. N-001 and nos P.1, P.2 and P4-43 from Captain J. Horner-Smith and A.G. Jacobs, Hankow, to J.H. Keswick and F.A. Pollock, Shanghai, 8 January-30 November 1948. In another set of copies (J2/42), P. No. N-001, P.1 and P.2 were renumbered respectively as P.1, P.2 and P.3.
The subjects covered include Changsha property; Chungking properties; Hankow godown; Hankow properties; house tax; Ichang properties; land tax on Wuchang property; Siangtan property; taxation; title deeds; Wayloo building, 57 Sankiao Street; and the wood oil installation case, Hankow.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Fair condition, but the binding has broken and has been replaced with treasury tags.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 September 2011.
Existence and Location of Copies
J2/55 contains copies of the letters from Tientsin to Hong Kong of 1949.
- Bolton, Bernard Ernest, b 1909 (businessman)
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Frost, Leopold Gotley, 1899-1983 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Jacobs, Archibald Gordon, 1898-1964 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Tod, Henry Hector, b 1907 (businessman)