Property letters from Hong Kong and Shanghai to Kobe and Yokohama, 20 Feb. 1929-11 Nov. 1940
Scope and Contents
Property letters from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai, to Jardine Matheson, Kobe and Yokohama:
1. Nos P.41-64 from B.D.F. Beith, R.E. Coxon and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to R.G. Bell and H.F. Scudamore, Yokohama, 20 February 1929-5 October 1933. Letter no. P.50 encloses a copy of a letter from Allan Cameron, Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd, to J.J. Paterson, Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, 8 April 1930, regarding a proposal to create a joint lane between Lots 21 and 22 in Yokohama.
2. Nos P.65 and 67-71 from J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to A. McDonald, Kobe, 11 February-5 June 1936.
3. Nos P.1, 2, 2A, 3, 5 and 6 from J.H. Keswick and W.J. Keswick, Shanghai, to A. McDonald, Kobe, 12 March 1935-11 November 1940.
There is no index, but the file includes the following subjects (among others):
A: Agent's house, Yokohama.
C: Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd.
K : Kobe property; No. 83 Kyo-machi, Kobe.
N: Nagasaki property.
P: Peking property.
Y: Yokohama Lots Nos 21, 22 and 23; Yokohama residence.
The ring-binder is labelled 'Property. Ports. To Japan from Hongkong & Shanghai'.
- 20 Feb. 1929-11 Nov. 1940
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, October 2010.
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bell, Robert Gowland, c 1887-1952 (businessman)
- Coxon, Raymond Ernest, b 1892 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- McDonald, Alistair, b 1897 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Scudamore, Herbert Fawckner, d 1938 (businessman)