Semi-official letters from Hong Kong to Shanghai, 1945-1960
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, to Shanghai, with enclosed letters and papers. The first part of the series is comprised of letters to Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd's Shanghai office. The office closed in 1954, but Thomas Beesley remained in China during the first part of 1955 to attend to outstanding issues relating to the the closure. The firm was represented subsequently at Shanghai by T.W. Pan, Y.C. Liu and Jack Yuan. Liu was appointed as the company's Liaison Representative, and was responsible for handling matters that could not be finalised during the period of the Shanghai office's liquidation and to undertake liaison work on trading matters between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and trading organisations in China. The correspondents in the series are H.D.M. Barton, T. Beesley, D.I. Bosanquet, I.D. Bruce, D.C. Geddes, R. Gordon, M.A.R. Herries, J.H. Keswick, D.F. Landale, H.H. Lennox, Y.C. Liu, J.J. Paterson, F.A. Pollock, J.C. Taylor, E.F. Watts and J. Yuan. The later correspondence includes some letters to Peking.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
14 file(s) (14 ring-binders)
4 folder(s) (4 folders)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
J1/199/1-17 were received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 17 April 2012. J1/199/18 was received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, 5 June 2015.
Existence and Location of Copies
The copies of the letters belonging to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, can be found in the following volumes: J1/126 (1945-1954), J1/133 (1955), J1/127/1 (1956), J1/127/2 (1957), J1/127/3 (1958), J1/127/4 (1959) and J1/124/2 (1960). The volumes for the years 1945-1955 include indexes.
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Beesley, Thomas, b 1905
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Bruce, Ian Denholm, 1912-1966 (businessman)
- Geddes, David Campbell, 1917-1995 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Herries, Michael Alexander Robert Young-, 1923-1995 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Liu, Yueh-chun, b 1920 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Taylor, John Cameron, 1890-1950 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org