Semi-official letters from Hong Kong to Korea, 1948-1963
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, to Jardine Matheson, Korea, with enclosed letters and papers. The correspondents are I.F. Aucott, H.D.M. Barton, D.I. Bosanquet, I.D. Bruce, W.K. Corneck, D.C. Geddes, R. Gordon, M.A.R. Herries, R.D. Johnstone, F. Jolly, J.H. Keswick, D.F. Landale, A. Montgomery, D.B. Nelson, G.M.R. Pearson and E.F. Watts.
Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd employed an Agent at Seoul from 1947. The company's office was registered by the Korean authorities in 1955, and operated until 1963.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
2 file(s) (2 ring-binders)
Language of Materials
Existence and Location of Copies
A complete set of copies of the semi-official letters (including all the unnumbered letters) can be found in the following volumes of Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong: J1/137 (1948-1949), J1/119 (1955), J1/120/1 (1956), J1/120/2 (1957), J1/124 (1958), J1/120/3 (1959), J1/124/2 (1960), J1/124/3 (1961), J1/124/4 (1962) and J1/120/4 (1963).
- Aucott, Ian Frank, 1916-1991 (businessman)
- Barton, Hugh David MacEwen, 1911-1989 (businessman)
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Bruce, Ian Denholm, 1912-1966 (businessman)
- Corneck, Warrington Kenneth, b 1920 (businessman)
- Geddes, David Campbell, 1917-1995 (businessman)
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Herries, Michael Alexander Robert Young-, 1923-1995 (Knight, businessman)
- Johnstone, Roy Douglas, b 1921
- Jolly, Frederick, b 1907 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Montgomery, Archibald, b 1920
- Nelson, Douglas Charles Berkeley, b 1917 (businessman)
- Pearson, George Matthew Raymond, b 1917 (businessman)
- Watts, Erik Francis, 1904-1984 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com