Semi-official and other correspondence between Chungking and London and Shanghai, 1945-1947
Scope and Contents
Copies of correspondence of Jardine Matheson, Chungking, with Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, and Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, with some enclosed letters and papers. The correspondents are R. Gordon, Shanghai; H.Y. Hsu, Chungking; J.H. Keswick, Shanghai; W.J. Keswick, London; H.H. Lennox, Chungking and Shanghai; J.F. Owen, London; F.A. Pollock, Shanghai; A. Wright, Chungking; and W.J. Wu, Chungking. The volume is divided into fourteen sections:
1. Official letter no. 899 from Chungking to London, 1 May 1946, regarding Mr Shen Chi Neng.
2. Semi-official letters J.E.C. [Jardine Engineering Corporation] nos 3, 4 and 7 from Chungking to London, 29 August-19 September 1945.
3. Semi-official letters nos 109-125 from Chungking to London, 23 August 1945-9 January 1946.
4. Private and confidential letters nos 29-31 from Chungking to London, 29 August-17 September 1945.
5. Property letters nos P.40 and P.42 from Chungking to London, 16 September-30 November 1945.
6. Semi-official letters nos 80-97 from London to Chungking, 20 July 1945-14 January 1946.
7. Official letters nos 874, 885, 887, 924, 963, 970, 1010 and 1011 from London to Chungking, 29 October 1945-5 February 1946, regarding produce. No. 874 encloses copies of a letter from Trudel Ltd, Zurich, to Matheson & Co. Ltd, 25 October 1945, and the firm's reply of 29 October 1945, regarding raw and waste silk.
8. Private and confidential letters nos 27-30 from London to Chungking, 26 July-23 August 1945.
9. Property letters nos P.21-24 from London to Chungking, 24 August-5 September 1945.
10. Semi-official letters nos 109-170 from Shanghai to Chungking, 10 January-31 December 1947.
11. Semi-official letters nos 120-179, 179a, 179b, 179c, 179d, and 180-187 from Chungking to Shanghai, 4 January-23 December 1947. Nos 179a-d, 11-14 November 1947, were numbered originally (respectively) G-1, G-2, A-1 and A-2, but have been renumbered in pencil.
12. Semi-official letters nos 1, 9, 14, 16-25, 28-30, 30A, 31-42, 42A, 43-60, 60 (again), 61, 61A, 64-91, 93-105 and 107-119 from Chungking to Shanghai, 12 September 1945-30 December 1946.
13. Semi-official letters nos 1-3, 28 August-7 September 1945, and 2-37, 2 October-28 December 1945, from Shanghai to Chungking.
14. Official letters from Shanghai to Chungking, 4 May-30 August 1946.
The subjects covered include accounts; Alliance Assurance Co. Ltd; bristles; British trade in China; civil aviation; cost of living; exports; finance; Ichang; imports; internees; Kunming; Mackenzie & Co.'s Ichang properties; Ministry of Communications; Ministry of Supply; registration; Shanghai properties; Skyways Ltd; Sou Yee Tobacco Co.; staff; and Szechuen Sericulture Co.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 29 September 2011.
- Gordon, Robert, 1900-1965 (businessman)
- Hsu, Hou Yu, b 1900 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Owen, John Featherstone, b 1889 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Wright, Arthur, b 1880 (businessman)
- Wu, Wei-Jou, b 1896