Semi-official letters from London to Chungking, 1942-1946
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, to Jardine Matheson, Chungking, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Unnumbered letters from B.D.F. Beith and J.F. Owen to Jardine Matheson, Chungking (including some addressed to D.I. Bosanquet), 24 March-31 December 1942, and no. 3 from B.D.F. Beith to D.I. Bosanquet, 12 November 1942.
2. Nos 1-48 from B.D.F. Beith (mainly) and J.F. Owen to W.S. Dupree, 20 November 1942-15 December 1943, and 49-50 from B.D.F. Beith to G.P. Charlton, 1-4 February 1944.
3. Nos 1-97 from B.D.F. Beith, W.J. Keswick and J.F. Owen to H.H. Lennox (nos 1-90), C.F. Stockar (no. 91), A. Wright (no. 92 and 95-97), and H.Y. Hsu (nos 93-94), 22 February 1944-14 January 1946.
There is an index at the beginning of the ring-binder containing the following entries:
A: Alliance Assurance; Associated Electrical Industries; Advertising; 'Atlanta'; Annual Accounts; Agencies; Air Transport; Arnhold & Co. Ltd; Aviation; American Activities; J.T. Asquith.
B: Balfour, Guthrie & Co. Ltd; British Exports; British Air Transport; British Trade in China; Bristles; Barry & Dodwell; British & Chinese Corporation; H.A. Brassert & Co. Ltd.
C: Chinese Seamen's Union; Admiral Chen Shao-kuan; Correspondence; Cotton Yarn; Central Trust; Chungking; China Travel Service; China Association; Consular Title Deeds; Commodities; Canton Insurance Office; China Utilities Corporation; China's Post War Economic Policy; Commercial Counsellor; Cement; S.C. Chu; Chang Kia-Ngau; Cigarette Paper; Calcutta; China-America Council of Commerce and Industry Inc.
D: Durant, Bevan & Co.; W.S. Dupree; Delegates to Business Conference in U.S.A.; D.C. Ltd.
E: English Electric Co. Ltd; Ewo Mills; Exports; Exchange Subsidy; Engineering Enquiries; Ewo Cold Store; Election (1945); 'Economist'; East Africa.
F: Foochow; Finance; Far Eastern Shipping Agency Association.
G: Henry Gittins; R. Gordon.
H: Hong Kong; Hongkong Fire Insurance Co. Ltd; J.C. Hutchison; Howe Scales; Hsuing Chao-Yu.
I: Insurance; Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. Ltd; Imports; Indian Textiles; India.
J: Jardine, Matheson & Co. (Burma) Ltd; Jardine, Skinner & Co.; Jardine Engineering Corporation; Joint Enterprises; Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd.
K: J.H. Keswick; Kunming; S.S. 'Kanlu'; Murray Kidd; W.J. Keswick.
L: Harold Lee; H.H. Lennox; Longfellow Hsu; Fatuan Lee.
M: Ministry of Supply.
N: New York; Newspapers; Nanchang Electric & Waterworks Co. Ltd; D.L. Newbigging; Donald Nelson; E.T. Nash.
O: Overheads, Income and Staff.
P: Property; Post-war Trading; Pekin Syndicate; Political; Sir John Pratt; G.G. Phillips; F.A. Pollock; J.J. Paterson; Public Utilities Development Co.
R: Registration of Foreign Enterprises; Reiss Bradley; Rangoon.
S: Staff; Silk; Shanghai; G.W. Sheppard; Salaries; Shipping; Neil Starr; Szechuan Sericulture Co.; Shanghai & Hongkew Wharf; Steel Bros; S.V. Sherbin; T.V. Soong.
T: Tea; Z.T. Tsang; Textile Machinery; Textiles; W.F. Tseh; Timber; Tinsley Wire Industries.
U: U.S.A. Trade; United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration.
V: Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd.
W: Wool Cloth; C.I. Wroe; Wood Oil.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 17 April 2012.
Existence and Location of Copies
J1/101 and J1/116 contain other copies of letters from this series.
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bosanquet, David Ives, 1914-1988 (businessman)
- Charlton, Geoffrey Philip, b 1914 (businessman)
- Dupree, William Sherlock, 1881-1975 (businessman)
- Hsu, Hou Yu, b 1900 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Lennox, Henry Hutchison, 1891-1958 (businessman)
- Owen, John Featherstone, b 1889 (businessman)
- Stockar, Charles Felix, b 1899 (businessman)
- Wright, Arthur, b 1880 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org