Semi-official letters from Shanghai to Tsingtao, 4 Apr. 1929-2 Mar. 1942
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters nos 69-122, 124-135, 137-159, 161-275, 277-340, 342-426, 428-432, 434-439, 442-449, 451-455, 458-466, 468-473, 477-482, 486, 488, 490, 491, 493-496, 498, 499, 503-509, 513, 518, 519, 522, 523, 525, 526, 528, 529, 531-533, 536, 538-543, 545, 547-550, 553-559 and 561-566 from R.M. Austin, B.D.F. Beith, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick, F.A. Pollock and G.W. Sheppard, Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to G.H. Bowker, W.B. Cornaby, W.D. Fiddes-Wilson and A.E. Smith, Jardine Matheson, Tsingtao.
At the back of file are copies of semi-official letters nos 11 and 13 from A.E. Smith, Tsingtao, to J.J. Paterson, Shanghai, 13 and 27 March 1929, and extracts from semi-official letter no. 12 from Tsingtao to Shanghai, 20 March 1929.
There is an index at the beginning of the ring-binder containing the following entries: British Chamber of Commerce Report; Enemy Exports; Imports; Monthly Returns; Produce; Quarantine Restrictions; 'Shantung Daily News'; and Staff.
The ring-binder is labelled 'Ports To Tsingtao General'.
- 4 Apr. 1929-2 Mar. 1942
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 27 February 2012.
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bowker, George Henry, b 1887 (businessman)
- Cornaby, William Basil, b 1892 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Sheppard, George Walter, d 1943 (businessman)
- Smith, Alexander Edward, b 1888 (businessman)
- Wilson, Walter Dunbar Fiddes-, 1899-1952 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
all other enquiries: email@example.com