Semi-official letters from Shanghai to Nanking, 9 May 1929-26 July 1939
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters nos 6-84 from R.M. Austin, B.D.F. Beith, R.E. Coxon, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick and G.W. Sheppard, Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to Y.S. Chuck, W.D. Fiddes-Wilson, T.S.H. Hoey, D.R. Mackenzie and C.B. Tweedy, Jardine Matheson, Nanking, 9 May 1929-3 September 1938, with a few enclosed letters and papers. There is also an unnumbered letter from W.J. Keswick, Shanghai, to J. Kinloch, Nanking, 26 July 1939, confirming the latter's appointment as the Agent of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd in Nanking. The subjects covered in the file include (among others) Chinese Government railway debts, C.T.S., T.S. Hoey, Kung Ping (staff), D.R. Mackenzie's illness, the Nanking Agency, the political situation and staff (including Chinese staff and staff movements and salaries). The ring-binder is labelled 'Ports. To Nanking. General'.
- 9 May 1929-26 July 1939
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, October 2010.
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Coxon, Raymond Ernest, b 1892 (businessman)
- Hoey, Thomas Stewart Hamilton, 1890-1942 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Mackenzie, David Roderick, 1883-1957 (businessman)
- Sheppard, George Walter, d 1943 (businessman)
- Tweedy, C.B., b 1887 (businessman)
- Wilson, Walter Dunbar Fiddes-, 1899-1952 (businessman)