Semi-official letters from Shanghai to Kobe and Yokohama, 12 Apr. 1929-7 Jan. 1940
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to Jardine Matheson, Kobe and Yokohama, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Nos 5-39 and 41-55 from R.M. Austin, B.D.F. Beith, R.E. Coxon, W.J. Keswick and J.J. Paterson to R.G. Bell and H.F. Scudamore, Yokohama, 12 April 1929-2 August 1934.
2. Nos 1-16, 18-49, 51-65, 68-76, 78, 80-82, 84 and 87-89 from B.D.F. Beith, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick and F.A. Pollock to O.V. Lanning and A. McDonald, Kobe, 19 October 1934-7 January 1940.
At the back of the file are extracts of correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Yokohama, 9 March-18 April 1929, and copies of letters from Jardine Matheson, Kobe and Yokohama to I. Matsuda, Superintendent, Yokohama Revenue Office, 18 July 1927, 2 September 1927, 27 March 1929 and 10 April 1929, with enclosures. Loose inside the file is a plan of lots nos 21-23, Yamashita-cho, Yokohama (property of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd), labelled as an enclosure to Yokohama property letter no. P.23 of 31 May 1929.
The file includes the following subjects (among others):
B: Balfour, Guthrie & Co. Ltd; beer and ale; A. Brunner (staff).
C: P. Chatagnon (staff); D.W.J. Clark (staff).
F: Finance; funds.
G: F. Gandossi (staff) - departure from the firm.
J: Japanese hardwood; Japanese plywood.
M: A. McDonald (staff).
O: Ocean shipping agencies; T. Ozawa (staff).
R: Reardon Smith Line.
S: Silk; raw silk; waste silk; staff; strawbraid.
T: Timber ex 'Benlawers' and 'Asbjorn'; Tsingtao cold store.
The ring-binder is labelled 'Ports. To Japan from Shanghai. General'.
- 12 Apr. 1929-7 Jan. 1940
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, October 2010.
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bell, Robert Gowland, c 1887-1952 (businessman)
- Coxon, Raymond Ernest, b 1892 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Lanning, Oswald Victor, b 1881 (businessman)
- McDonald, Alistair, b 1897 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Scudamore, Herbert Fawckner, d 1938 (businessman)