Semi-official letters from Shanghai to Ichang, 10 Apr. 1929-1 May 1941
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters nos 12-64, 66-121, 123-131, 133, 134, 136-140, 142 and 144 from R.M. Austin, B.D.F. Beith, J.H. Keswick, W.J. Keswick, J.J. Paterson and F.A. Pollock, Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, to J.R. Allan, L.G. Frost, F.M. Ide and Andrew Ross, Jardine Matheson, Ichang, 10 April 1929-1 May 1941, with enclosed letters and papers.
There are also copies of unnumbered semi-official letters, 22 February and 15 March 1939, and nos 1, 2 and 5-21, 28 March 1939-8 May 1940, from D.F. Landale, D.L. Newbigging and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to L.G. Frost, Ichang, and unnumbered letters, 18 October 1929, 5 April 1930, 9 September 1935 and 7 February 1938, no. 1, 1 August 1931, and no. 1, 7 February 1936, from W.S. Dupree and other correspondents, Hankow, to J.R. Allan, F.M. Ide and Andrew Ross, Ichang.
The file includes the following subjects (among others):
A: Annual report.
C: Changsha/Chungking Service; Chungking; Compradore; Compradore's Security.
E: Ewo Yu.
H: 'Hsin Changwo'.
K: S.S. 'Kiawo'.
L: Local situation.
M: S.W. Moon (staff); monthly reports.
R: River trade.
S: Shipping; staff; staff salaries.
T: Tu Ying Luan (Compradore).
The ring-binder is labelled 'Ports. To Ichang. General' and 'Shanghai to Ichang - General'.
- 10 Apr. 1929-1 May 1941
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, October 2010.
- Allan, James Robert Angus, b 1896 (businessman)
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Dupree, William Sherlock, 1881-1975 (businessman)
- Frost, Leopold Gotley, 1899-1983 (businessman)
- Ide, Francis Madgewick, b 1903 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir John Henry, 1906-1982 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Newbigging, David Locke, 1896-1948 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Pollock, Frederick Arthur, b 1899 (businessman)
- Ross, Andrew, b 1877 (businessman)