Semi-official letters from Hong Kong to Kobe and Yokohama, 8 Apr. 1932-15 Apr. 1941
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, to Jardine Matheson, Kobe and Yokohama, with enclosed letters and papers:
1. Nos 202-250 and 252-260 from W.J. Keswick, J.J. Paterson and A.B. Stewart to R.G. Bell and H.F. Scudamore, Yokohama, 8 April 1932-5 September 1934.
2. Nos 1-54 and 56-136 from W.J. Keswick, D.F. Landale and J.J. Paterson to O.V. Lanning and A. McDonald, Kobe, 3 January 1934-15 April 1941. There is a photograph of the Jardine Building and its surroundings inserted between letters nos 123 and 124, labelled on the reverse 'Kyo-machi - 2nd Day of flood'.
The file includes the following subjects (among others):
A: Annual accounts.
C: Chosen Dock case; coal; J.D. Collier Account.
D: Durant, Bevan & Co. Ltd.
F: Finance; finance restriction in Japan; office furniture.
G: J.B. Gardiner (staff).
I: Imports; Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. Ltd; Insurance Department.
M: A. McDonald (staff) - illness.
P: Perpetual leases; property; property no. 23.
R: Registration - Nagasaki and Shidzuoka; remittances.
S: Silk; Staatsmijnen in Limburg; staff; native staff; staff salaries; native staff salaries.
The ring-binder is labelled 'Ports. From Hongkong to Japan. General'.
- 8 Apr. 1932-15 Apr. 1941
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Fair condition, but the covers are torn and missing sections.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, October 2010.
Existence and Location of Copies
J1/10/17-21, J1/17 and J1/18 contain copies of the letters to Kobe, with the exception of nos 134-136. J1/10/15-17 include copies of the letters to Yokohama.
- Bell, Robert Gowland, c 1887-1952 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Lanning, Oswald Victor, b 1881 (businessman)
- McDonald, Alistair, b 1897 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Scudamore, Herbert Fawckner, d 1938 (businessman)
- Stewart, Allan Brown, c 1888-1940 (businessman)