Semi-official letters from Harbin to Shanghai, 22 Mar. 1929-2 Feb. 1933
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters to Jardine Matheson, Shanghai, with enclosures:
1. Nos 24-30, 32-35, 37 and 39-45 from W.J. Keswick, E.J. Schramm and E.J. Surman, Jardine Engineering Corporation Ltd, Harbin, to R.M. Austin (mainly) and J.J. Paterson, 22 March 1929-6 November 1930, regarding the Harbin liquidation account, including enclosed monthly statements from the Compradore.
2. Nos 18-31 and 34 from E.A. Jenkinson and G.E.R. Mayell, Hongkong Fire Insurance Co. Ltd, Harbin, to R.M. Austin (mainly) and B.D.F. Beith, 15 August 1929-2 February 1933, mainly regarding staffing issues. The last letter announces the closure that day of the Harbin Branch Office.
Some letters are unsigned. The folder is labelled 'Ports. From Harbin. General & Liquidation' and 'Harbin to Shanghai. (re Closing of Branch)'.
- 22 Mar. 1929-2 Feb. 1933
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 folder(s) (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 27 February 2012.
- Austin, Reginald Mein, 1888-1934 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Hongkong Fire Insurance Co Ltd
- Jardine Engineering Corporation Ltd
- Jenkinson, Edward Arnold, b 1893
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Mayell, Gliddon Edmund Rodin, b 1897
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)