Semi-official letters from Foochow to Hong Kong and Shanghai, 8 May 1929-10 Dec. 1937
Scope and Contents
Copies of semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Foochow, to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong and Shanghai, with enclosed letters and papers, including statements of the Compradore's liabilities and the printed reports of Jardine Matheson, Foochow, on the local tea market for the seasons 1934 and 1935. The file includes the following semi-official letters:
1. Nos 95, 97-108, 110-215, 217-246, 248-290, 292-342, 345 and 346 from E.B. Clarke, W.B. Cornaby, James Helbling, A.M. Scott-Morris and A.B. Stafford, Foochow, to B.D.F. Beith, W.J. Keswick, J.J. Paterson and A.B. Stewart, Hong Kong, 8 May 1929-10 December 1937.
2. Nos 1-31 from James Helbling and A.M. Scott-Morris, Foochow, to B.D.F. Beith and W.J. Keswick, Shanghai, 3 August 1931-5 November 1936.
The file includes the following subjects (among others):
A: Annual accounts.
B: H.D.M. Barton's visit.
C: China & Japan Homeward Freight Conference; Compradore's liabilities.
D: Douglas Steamship Co. Ltd; duties and taxation.
E: Ewo Brewery.
G: Glen Line.
H: Home leave.
I: Imports; income tax; Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. Ltd.
L: Lau Wan Kai (Compradore).
N: Ng Suey Cho (Compradore) - death.
P: T.W. Pan (staff); Patons & Baldwins Ltd; Jack Pearce (staff) - death; politics.
R: Rice shipments.
S: staff; Chinese staff; staff salaries; A.B. Stafford (staff).
The folder is labelled 'Ports. From Foochow General'.
- 8 May 1929-10 Dec. 1937
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 folder(s) (1 folder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, October 2010.
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Clarke, Ernest Blears, b 1887 (businessman)
- Cornaby, William Basil, b 1892 (businessman)
- Helbling, James, 1872-1948 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Morris, Archibald Mortimer Scott-, 1896-1939 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Stewart, Allan Brown, c 1888-1940 (businessman)
- From the Fonds: Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd (Organization)
Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository
Cambridge University Library
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom
Map Dept enquiries: email@example.com
all other enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org