Semi-official correspondence between Hong Kong and Chungking, Foochow, Haiphong and Ichang, 7 Jan. 1939-28 Dec. 1939
Scope and Contents
Original semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Foochow, Haiphong and Ichang, and Barry & Dodwell, Chungking, to Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and copies of semi-official letters from Hong Kong to these offices, with enclosed letters and papers. The volume is in four sections, three of which are preceded by indexes:
1. Unnumbered semi-official letters, 29 August-30 November 1939, and no. 1, 19 December 1939, from B.M. Barry, Chungking, to D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, and nos 1-29 from D.F. Landale, D.L. Newbigging and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to B.M. Barry, Chungking, 1 March-28 December 1939. The index contains the following entries:
C: Correspondence; Codes - New Supplements, etc.
E: Ewo Cotton Mills Ltd - General, Chinese Government Uniform Cloth, Grey Sheetings, Blankets.
F: Finance - General; Finance - Agency Cash Position.
G: Grey Cloth.
S: Szechuan Silk.
2. Semi-official letters nos 379-408 from N.G. Hammond and A.M. Scott-Morris, Foochow, to D.F. Landale (mainly) and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, 27 January-23 December 1939, and 282-328 from D.F. Landale, D.L. Newbigging and J.J. Paterson, Hong Kong, to N.G. Hammond and A.M. Scott-Morris, Foochow, 7 January-27 December 1939. The index contains the following entries:
A: Annual Accounts.
C: Correspondence; Continentale Produkten-Gesellschaft; Chinese Government Cargo; Commissioner of Customs; Cargo Boats; Codes & Coding; Customs Notifications.
D: Douglas Line.
G: General; Miss Gomes.
H: N.G. Hammond; M.J. Henderson.
I: Income Tax; S.S. 'Tungwo'; F.M. Ide.
O: Overland Transportation.
P: Political; Political - European; Property - River Frontage; Property - Godown D; Property - Stables.
S: Sharp Peak; Shipping - Generally; Chinese Staff; Staff Salaries; Staff - Exchange Rates; A.M. Scott-Morris; Mrs Scott-Morris.
T: Tea; Telegraphing.
U: Mr Un.
3. Two unnumbered semi-official letters from A. Urquhart, Haiphong to D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, 4 October 1939, and D.L. Newbigging, Hong Kong, 10 October 1939, regarding his arrival and problems with the transport of goods to Kunming.
4. Semi-official letters nos 1-11 from L.G. Frost, Ichang, to D.F. Landale, Hong Kong, 11 April-13 December 1939, and an unnumbered semi-official letter, 15 March 1939, and nos 1-13 from D.F. Landale to L.G. Frost, 28 March-27 December 1939. The index contains the following entries:
A: Air Raids.
C: Codes - New Supplements, etc.; Correspondence; Chungking (Representation).
F: Finance - General.
- 7 Jan. 1939-28 Dec. 1939
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, June 1990.
Former reference: J33
- Frost, Leopold Gotley, 1899-1983 (businessman)
- Hammond, Noel Gardner, b 1916
- Landale, David Fortune, 1905-1970 (businessman)
- Morris, Archibald Mortimer Scott-, 1896-1939 (businessman)
- Newbigging, David Locke, 1896-1948 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Urquhart, Alexander, b 1900 (businessman)