Semi-official letters from Hong Kong to London, 1911-1941
Scope and Contents
An incomplete series of original semi-official letters from Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, to Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, with enclosed letters, telegrams and other papers. The correspondents are C.E. Anton, B.D.F. Beith, John Bell-Irving, D.G.M. Bernard, R.E. Coxon, T.S. Forrest, John Johnstone, Henry Keswick, William Keswick, W.J. Keswick, David Landale, D.L. Newbigging, J.J. Paterson, C.H. Ross, A. Brooke Smith and A.B. Stewart.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
25 file(s) (25 ring-binders)
1 volume(s) (1 volume)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
J1/8/1-7 were part of the original accessions to the Archive. J1/8/8-26 were later accessions from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London.
- Anton, Charles Edward, d 1935 (businessman)
- Beith, Benjamin David Fleming, 1884-1960 (businessman)
- Bernard, Sir Dallas Gerald Mercer, 1888-1975 (1st Baronet, businessman)
- Coxon, Raymond Ernest, b 1892 (businessman)
- Forrest, Thomas Shaw, d 1925 (businessman)
- Irving, John Bell-, 1888-1960 (Major)
- Johnstone, John, 1881-1935 (businessman)
- Keswick, Henry, 1870-1928 (businessman)
- Keswick, Sir William Johnstone, 1903-1990 (Knight, businessman)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Landale, David, 1868-1935 (businessman)
- Newbigging, David Locke, 1896-1948 (businessman)
- Paterson, John Johnstone, 1886-1971 (businessman)
- Ross, Charles Henderson, 1864-1919 (businessman)
- Smith, Alfred Brooke, 1874-1938 (businessman)
- Stewart, Allan Brown, c 1888-1940 (businessman)