Correspondence re Australia, 4 Feb. 1953-29 Mar. 1963
Scope and Contents
Correspondence (including telegrams) between Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and Jardine Matheson, Tokyo; correspondence of London, Hong Kong and Tokyo with other correspondents, including L.G. Frost (Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd's Resident Representative in Australasia), Sydney, Robert Gillespie Pty Ltd, Sydney, Herbert, Wagg & Co. Ltd, London, L.J. Hooker Investment Corporation Ltd, London, Hurley & Dewhurst Pty Ltd, Sydney, and Jones, Lang, Wootton & Sons, London; correspondence between Jardine Matheson, Hong Kong, and the firm's Director Robin Gordon during his visit to Australia of 1958; and related letters and papers, including the following documents:
1. A report by Robin Gordon on his visit to Australia, 19 July 1958, 14 pages, with an appendix.
2. A report on the Airways Department of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd, October 1958, divided into sections for sales, traffic handling, administration and traffic statistics.
3. 'Notes on Australia to-day (with special reference to investment in the Commonwealth)' by Cazenove & Co., London, April 1959, 6 pages.
4. 'Economic and Financial Survey of Australia 1959-60', published by Birt & Co. (Pty) Ltd, Sydney, N.S.W., 1 volume (loose inside the file).
5. Notes of a discussion held at Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd's Head Office, Hong Kong, 20 March 1961, regarding the establishment of a new Australian finance company to be named Darling & Co. (Pty) Ltd, 'to manage Investment Trusts and Investment portfolios for provident, institutional and private funds, etc.' and 'to undertake the financing of suitable enterprises, to give financial advice and participate in underwriting operations', with Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd as shareholders.
6. Private Office Circular No. 190 of Matheson & Co. Ltd, 29 March 1963, announcing the appointment of G.R.B. Patterson, formerly the Australian Trade Commissioner in Hong Kong, as Jardine, Matheson & Co. Ltd's Representative in Australia and New Zealand from 1 May 1963, based as Sydney.
7. Copies and cuttings of press articles.
The ring-binder is labelled 'Australia & Future Policy of J.M. & Co., Ltd. File II'.
- 4 Feb. 1953-29 Mar. 1963
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
1 file(s) (1 ring-binder)
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Received from Matheson & Co. Ltd, London, 5 June 2015.