Letters from Shanghai, 1862-1884
Scope and Contents
Press copies of letters from R.A. Houstoun, F.B. Johnson, J.J. Keswick, William Keswick, John Macgregor, Henry Murray, William Paterson, Edward Whittall and James Whittall, Shanghai, to correspondents in China and Japan, including partners and employees of Jardine, Matheson & Co. Many of the letters are from F.B. Johnson.
Conditions Governing Access
Access to the collection is subject to special conditions and is at the discretion of Matheson & Co. Ltd, part of the Jardine Matheson Group. A statement of the conditions and an application form are available in the Manuscripts Reading Room. Printed copies of the form are available by post (please contact the University Library). An electronic version can also be found at https://www.lib.cam.ac.uk/files/jm_permission_form.pdf.
Records described in the catalogue as being in a bad condition are in a fragile state that precludes them being made available to readers.
Access to some records may be restricted under the terms of the Data Protection Act, 1998.
2 archive box(es) (2 boxes)
Language of Materials
- Houstoun, Robert Alexander, 1838-1879 (merchant)
- Johnson, Francis Bulkeley Bulkeley-, 1828-1887 (merchant)
- Keswick, James Johnstone, 1845-1914 (merchant)
- Keswick, William, 1834-1912 (merchant)
- Macgregor, John, 1841-1893 (businessman)
- Paterson, William, 1842-1914 (merchant)
- Whittall, Edward, d 1900 (merchant)
- Whittall, James, 1827-1893 (merchant)