Skip to main content

Records of Cambridge University Golf Club, 1887 - 2009

Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/SOC.119

Scope and Contents

Surviving records are strong for the early decades of the club's existence before World War One, especially minutes, accounts and membership lists compiled during the Honorary Treasureship of R.C. Burrows.


  • Creation: 1887 - 2009


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (

Biographical / Historical

The club was established in 1869 by undergraduates Andrew Graham Murray (Trinity College) and George Gosset (Trinity College). They played golf on Midsummer Common and in Royston. Having petered out by 1871, the club was revived in 1876 by another undergraduate, William T. Linskill (Jesus College). He negotiated the laying out of a course on Coldham's Common, got a Varsity Match going in 1878 and remained closely involved with the club until the mid-1890s. Although members also played on the Gogmagog Links and at the Royal Worlington and Newmarket golf course, in Mildenhall, Coldham's Common remained in use until 1902 when the club officially moved to Whitwell Hill, Coton, on land leased from King's College. The Coton course was closed in 1915 and after World War One, local play focused on the Mildenhall course. From the earliest days, the Club employed a golf professional for coaching purposes. The first female player to be part of the Varsity Match team was Fiona Macdonald (Trinity College) in 1986. The first Oxford and Cambridge Ladies Match occurred in 1998. It did not have Blue status. More information on the current activities of the club appears on its website at For further information on the early history of the club, see Michael B. Morrison The worst golf course ever: Coldham Common. A history of Cambridge University Golf Club 1869-1919 (2016).


3 linear metre(s) (3 metres) : paper

Language of Materials


Immediate Source of Acquisition

The records were deposited in the University Archives by Genny Grim, Librarian of Pembroke College, and Tim Harvey-Samuel, Bursar of Corpus Christi College and Senior Treasurer of CU Golf Club, on 22 November 2018.


This catalogue was completed in December 2018.


Cambridge University Golf Club

Finding aid date

2018-11-28 12:44:12+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom