Records of the Cambridge University Cruising Club, 1874 - 2019
Scope and Contents
The category - Student administration and support records - comprises records relating to student admissions at all levels, graduate students, visiting senior scholars, student careers advice and welfare, together with the records of clubs and societies.
- 1874 - 2019
- Cambridge University Cruising Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
The club was founded on the 20 May 1893 ''to encourage amateur sailing, cruising and racing, to provide members with opportunities for instruction in nautical matters, and to promote discussion thereof''. At various stages, it has arranged Varsity matches; Cuppers competitions; inland regattas; marine meetings; annual dinners; and balls. The club had rooms at 12 Rams Yard in the 1930s-50s, and at 5 Falcon Yard in the 1970s; while its fleet was kept at Ely (1930s), St Ives (1960s and 70s), Milton Pit (1980s), and Grafham Water (late 1980s-90s). Cambridge University Women's Sailing Club was absorbed by the club in the 1970s. By 2008 C.U.Cr.C. had officially divided into four sub sections: Casual Dinghy, Team Dinghy, Yachting, and Windsurfing. Naval officer and author Henry Mangles Denham (Magdalene College), and the physiologists Richard Hume Adrian, second Baron Adrian (Trinity College), Sir Joseph Barcroft (King's College), and Sir Bryan Harold Cabot Matthews (King's College) were all early members. Further information about the club's activities is on its website: http://www.cucrc.org/.
7 linear metre(s) : paper, photograph
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Many of the items are in poor condition. They have accumulated a considerable amount of surface dirt and have become discoloured by soot.
Former / Other Reference
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The majority of the records were transferred to the University Archives from the Manuscripts Department on 31 July 2008. They had been deposited by Richard Henry Tizard (Churchill College) on behalf of C.U.Cr.C. with the Manuscripts Department on 19 May 1987 and had been given the classmark Ms.Add.8896.
SOC.184.108.40.206, 3-5, 7-10, 12-16 and SOC.103.7 were deposited with the University Archives by David Knight via Peter Bunch on behalf of the C.U.Cr.C. on 13 June 2008.
SOC.220.127.116.11 (addnl) were presented by Mrs M. Farrar (on behalf of Trinity Hall archives) on 10 September 2008.
SOC.103.2.14 (addnl) and 103.4.6 and were presented by Mr M. Hayles on 14 December 2011.
Mr Anthony Butler presented the following: SOC.18.104.22.168 on 19 March 2013; SOC.103.1.1(addnl), 22.214.171.124, 103.1.4 (addnl), 103.2.14 (addnl), 103.4.7, 126.96.36.199 (addnl), 188.8.131.52 (addnl), 184.108.40.206, 103.6.3 (addnl), 103.6.7-8 on 16 Oct. 2013; SOC.220.127.116.11 (addnl), 103.1.4 (addnl), 103.2.14 (addnl), 103.5.7, 103.6.6 on 8 Mar. 2014; SOC.103.1.4 (addnl) on 14 Mar. 2014; SOC 103.1.1 (addnl), 18.104.22.168 (addnl), 103.1.4 (addnl), 103.1.5 (addnl), 103.4.8, 22.214.171.124 (addnl) on 11 Mar. 2015 and 8 Mar. 2016; SOC.103.1.1 (addnl), SOC.1.3.6 (addnl), SOC.103.1.4 (addnl), SOC.103.1.5 (addnl), SOC.103.4.8, SOC.126.96.36.199 (addnl), SOC.5.5.7 (addnl), SOC.188.8.131.52 on 28 February 2017; SOC.103.1.1 (addnl), SOC.184.108.40.206 (addnl), SOC.103.1.4-6 (addnl), SOC.103.3.10, SOC.103.4.9 on 23 Feb. 2018; SOC.103.1.1 (addnl), SOC.220.127.116.11 (addnl), SOC.103.1.4 (addnl). SOC.103.1.5 (addnl), SOC. 103.1.6 (addnl), SOC.103.4.9 (addnl), SOC.103.5.5 (addnl) on 14 February 2019.
The online catalogue entry was completed in August 2008 and emended in September 2008, December 2011, November 2013, May 2014, June 2016, August 2017 and May 2018.
Cambridge University Cruising Club
Finding aid date