Skip to main content

Records of the Cambridge University Scout and Guide Club, and predecessor Cambridge University Rover Scout Troop, 1920 - 2014

Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/SOC.102

Scope and Contents

From the Management Group:

The category - Student administration and support records - comprises records relating to student admissions at all levels, graduate students, visiting senior scholars, student careers advice and welfare, together with the records of clubs and societies.


  • Creation: 1920 - 2014


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (

Biographical / Historical

The Cambridge University Scout and Guide Club (C.U.S.G.C.) was formed in 1953, by an amalgamation of Cambridge University Rover Scout Troop (C.U.R.S.T.), formed 1920, and Girton College Guides, foundation date unknown. The Rover Troop was founded primarily to train members to be future Scoutmasters and included the fencer Charles-Louis Leopold Alfred de Beaumont (Trinity College) and the colonial official and businessman Sir Frederick Johnson Pedler (Gonville and Caius College) amongst its early members. The Rover Scout Troop continued as a subsection of the main club until 1 March 1967 and increasingly came to be called the Rover Crew (C.U.R.C.) although this term had also been used earlier. The C.U.S.G.C. undertakes both adventurous and community service activities and runs a programme of social events. Further information about the club's activities is on its website at:


9 linear metre(s) (9 metres) : paper, photograph, plastic, wood

Language of Materials



File SOC.102.3.1 was created by the cataloguing archivist by combining Ms.Add.8283/20 with an overlapping set of accounts acquired in November 1995.

Former / Other Reference


Immediate Source of Acquisition

The majority of records were transferred to the University Archives from the Manuscripts Department on 12 June 2008. An initial deposit was made by C.U.S.G.C. with the Manuscripts Department on 21 November 1978. Further deposits were made in 1990, 1995, 1996, and circa 2003. All were given the classmark Ms.Add.8283. A great deal of the pre-1970s material appears to have been in the possession of Professor Patrick William Duff (Trinity College) at some stage. Accession dates and depositor names for individual items may be obtained from the University Archives. Several sets of the newsletter ''Sky Blue'' were amalgamated by the cataloguing archivist and transferred to make up the set held by the Rare Books Department (classmark: Cam.c.21.83).

Four further programmes 1987-8 were presented to the University Archives by Elizabeth Ennion-Smith, archivist of St Catharine's College, on 25 May 2010 and added to SOC. SOC. was transferred by Charlotte Finch, C.U.S.G.C., on 10 Jan. 2013. Further papers were presented to the University Archives by Tim Talbot (King's College), C.U.S.G.C., on 25 June 2014 and catalogued as follows: SOC., 2.2.35-8, 3.1(addnl), 3.9, 5.12-13, 6.3. Further papers were deposited by Thomas Webster, C.U.S.G.C., on 6 June 2017 and catalogued as follows: SOC.102.3.2 (addnl), 3.5.3-4, 3.10-15, 5.14. Kazuo Newcombe, C.U.S.G.C, presented further papers on 30 September 2019, now catalogued as SOC.102.2.5.

Related Materials

Further printed records, especially the newsletter known as ''Sky Blue'', are in the Rare Books Department, Cambridge University Library (classmark: Cambridge Papers J7788 and Cam.c.21.83). A copy of C.U.S.G.C. Ladakh expedition report (Cambridge, [1981?]) is available in the West Room of Cambridge University Library (classmark: Uc.7.6629).

Related Materials

The papers of Alison Duke (1915-2005), Senior Tutor and Fellow of Girton College Cambridge, and an active early member of C.U.S.G.C., are held in the Archives of Girton College, Cambridge (reference: GCPP Duke). Also at Girton is some material in the papers of Sheila Nevell relating to the Marsden Bay Camps which were the female equivalent of the C.U.R.S.T. Bredon Hill camps (reference: GCPP Nevell).


The online catalogue entry was completed in July 2008 and emended in June 2010, September 2014 and May 2018.


Cambridge University Scout and Guide Club; Cambridge University Rover Scout Troop

Finding aid date

2008-06-19 16:42:14+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom