Records of the Cambridge University Guild of Change Ringers, 1879 - 2005
Scope and Contents
The category - Student administration and support records - comprises records relating to student admissions at all levels, graduate students, visiting senior scholars, student careers advice and welfare, together with the records of clubs and societies.
- 1879 - 2005
- Cambridge University Guild of Change Ringers (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
At its foundation on 4 February 1879 the guild was known as the Clare Association of Ringers. Just six days after foundation the name was altered to the Cambridge University Guild of Change Ringers by the first set of guild rules, presumably to reflect the election of members from colleges other than Clare. In 1884 the clergyman and campanologist Woolmore Wigram (Trinity College) was elected as an honorary member. The guild predominantly practised method change ringing rather than call change ringing. In September each year the guild arranged a week away known as ''Annual ringing week'' or ''Guild week''. Since at least 1957 the principal practice and service ringing tower for the guild has been St Andrew the Great, Cambridge. Further information about the club's activities is on its website at www.cugcr.org.uk. Additionally, there is a personal website run by a former club member, Philip Andrew Bruce Saddleton (Trinity College), on which compiled statistics about the guild's touches, peals and bands are posted: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/saddleton/cugcr/index.htm.
2 linear metre(s) (2 metres) : paper, photographs
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were transferred to the University Archives from the Manuscripts Department on 31 January 2008. The bulk of the material was deposited on permanent loan by the Cambridge University Guild of Change Ringers with the Manuscripts Department on 16 November 1979. SOC.84.23 was deposited at an unknown date. Further deposits were made in 1992, 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006. All were given the classmark Ms.Add.8253. Accession dates and depositor names for individual items may be obtained from the University Archives.
Some of material was listed by Christopher Michael Paley Johnson (St John's College) at the time of the 2006 deposit. Former reference codes indicate the order in which the collection was arranged in his list. The online catalogue entry was completed in February 2008 and emended September 2008.
Cambridge University Guild of Change Ringers
Finding aid date