Records of the Cambridge University Chess Club, 1890 - 1982
Scope and Contents
The category - Student administration and support records - comprises records relating to student admissions at all levels, graduate students, visiting senior scholars, student careers advice and welfare, together with the records of clubs and societies.
- 1890 - 1982
- Cambridge University Chess Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
Chess has been played competitively in the university since at least 1873, the date of the first blues match against Oxford. The precise date of the club's foundation is unknown. It promotes chess both within the university and in the surrounding area. The club initially organised a championship for individual players and matches against a variety of other teams. It later developed an inter-collegiate league and a ''Cuppers'' competition. The club also holds social events, including an annual dinner, and publishes its own magazine. Mathematician M.H.A. Neumann (later Newmann, St John's College) was a member 1915-16 and 1919-22, as was physician Lionel Penrose in the years 1919-22 (St John's College) and mathematician, poet, and humanist Jacob Bronowski (Jesus College) in the late 1920s. Further information about the club's activities is on its website at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/chess/.
8 volume(s) : paper
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The records were transferred to the University Archives from the Manuscripts Department on 12 November 2007. They had been presented by Cambridge University Chess Club to the Manuscripts Department on 20 January 1978 and had been give the classmark Ms.Add.8173. SOC.81.1.1 and 81.2.1 were transferred from the Manuscripts Department in September 2012 where they had been deposited by the Club in 2001.
The online catalogue entry was completed in November 2007 and emended in September 2012.
Cambridge University Chess Club
Finding aid date