Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Records of the Cambridge University Explorers' and Travellers' Club, 1954 - 1985

 Fonds
Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/SOC.75

Scope and Contents

From the Management Group: The category - Student administration and support records - comprises records relating to student admissions at all levels, graduate students, visiting senior scholars, student careers advice and welfare, together with the records of clubs and societies.

Dates

  • 1954 - 1985

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Department of Archives and Modern Manuscripts, Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).

Biographical / Historical

The club was formed by John Graham Esplen, St Catharine's, on 9 June 1954. It sought to support worldwide expeditions led by university members through the provision of: networking opportunities for persons wishing to organise and/or support expeditions, a speaker programme, a store for expedition equipment, a cache of information on potential sources of funding and equipment, a library of maps and expedition reports, and publication of a club magazine. The associated Cambridge Expedition Committee approved around twenty-five CUETC-advocated trips annually. These expeditions were usually concerned with academic research or field work in undeveloped countries. The club's members were largely, though not exclusively, undergraduates. It liaised closely with the Geography Department and the Cambridge University Expeditions Fund. The club was occasionally referred to as the ''Wogs and Trogs''. At some point between 1985 and 2007 the club changed its name Cambridge University Expeditions Society. Information about its activities is on its website at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/cuex/.

Extent

1 volume(s) (1 volume) : paper

6 file(s)

12 pamphlet(s) (12 booklets)

Language of Materials

English

Former / Other Reference

Ms.Add.8645

Immediate Source of Acquisition

SOC.75.1-2 were transferred to the University Archives from the Manuscripts Department on 12 November 2007. They had been presented by the president of the Cambridge University Explorers' and Travellers' Club, John Snyder of Christ's College, Cambridge to the Manuscripts Department on 4 July 1986 and had been give the classmark Ms.Add.8645. SOC.75.3-5 were presented to the University Archives by Dr J. Hedger on 15 November 2012.

Related Materials

Further printed records are in the Rare Books Department, Cambridge University Library (classmark: Cambridge Papers J 3745 and Cambridge Papers 2nd series, Societies 25). See also: MS.Add.8646 report and papers of the Cambridge Expedition to Ecuador, 1985-6.

General

The online catalogue entry was completed in November 2007 and emended in january 2013.

Originator(s)

Cambridge University Explorers' and Travellers' Club

Finding aid date

2007-11-08 10:52:57+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Contact:
Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom


The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.