Skip to main content

Minutes of meetings of the Baskerville Club, occasionally signed, 1903 - 1931

Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/SOC.54.1

Scope and Contents

The minutes cover meetings held from 28 October 1903-25 February 1922. Pages from the Baskerville Club Stock Book, copies of club rules, letters to members, and postal reply cards are tipped into the volume.


  • Creation: 1903 - 1931


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (

Biographical / Historical

The club was established on 4 October 1903 on the initiative of Charles Sayle of St John's College, Cambridge to promote "bibliographical studies by publication and otherwise". Its members were limited to past and present members of Cambridge University and at its inception included A.F. Cole of King's College, A.T. Bartholomew of Peterhouse, C.D. Robertson of Trinity, J.M. Keynes of King's, F.J.H. Jenkinson of Trinity, University Librarian, G.I.H. Lloyd of Trinity, and S. Gaselee of King's. It took no annual subscription but the council called for special subscriptions as their activities required. It published bibliographies in particular and kept a library of both its own publications and those of John Baskerville (1706-75), the printer and typefounder after whom the club was named. Members of note included John Maynard Keynes, Geoffrey Langdon Keynes , Montague Rhodes James and successive University Librarians. The club was dissolved in 1931 with remaining funds made over to the Cambridge University Library.


1 volume(s) (1 volume) : paper

Language of Materials


Former / Other Reference


Immediate Source of Acquisition

This item was transferred to the University Archives from the Manuscripts Department on 9 October 2007. It had been presented by the Baskerville Club, Cambridge, to the Manuscripts Department on 1931 and had been given the classmark Ms.Add.6673

Related Materials

Further printed records are in the Rare Books Department, Cambridge University Library (classmark: Cambridge Papers J 1930).


The online catalogue entry was completed in October 2007 and emended in November 2007.


Baskerville Club

Finding aid date

2007-10-08 14:59:07+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom