Records of the Zodiac Club and related material, 1725 - 1909
Scope and Contents
The category - Student administration and support records - comprises records relating to student admissions at all levels, graduate students, visiting senior scholars, student careers advice and welfare, together with the records of clubs and societies.
- 1725 - 1909
- University of Cambridge. Zodiac Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
The club was probably founded in 1725, its first set of articles being set down on 10 December of that year. The exact nature of its activities is unknown as the main club volume is mostly administrative in nature and one of the club's articles bound it members to secrecy. The articles do indicate that the club was at least partly social in nature meeting in a tavern and holding its own stock of wine. They also show that members were required to assist each other in seeking 'preferments' above all other candidates and the club ran its own library to which members were expected to contribute. Membership was limited to twelve elected individuals who each took the name of a sign of the zodiac. From 1728 six further members were elected, taking the names of the six known planets. The first members were bachelors of the university, but later members included masters and a few fellows. Officers of the club were drawn from the membership on a termly rotation.
3 item(s) : paper
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Ms.Add.5340, C.12.9 (Sel)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
These items were transferred to the University Archives from the Manuscripts Department on 3 October 2007. SOC.45.1 had been in the possession of H.M. Gilbert, bookseller of Southampton in 1896 and was purchased and presented, along with SOC.45.3, by Robert Bowes to the Manuscripts Department on 24 April 1912. It was given the classmark Ms.Add.5340. Item SOC.45.2 was transferred into MS.Add.5340 on November 1913. It had been found in an item at classmark C.12.9 (Sel).
The online catalogue entry was completed in October 2007 and emended in November 2007.
DateText: club originated material dates from 1725-42.
Finding aid date