Skip to main content

Records of the Cambridge University Mountaineering Club, 1882 - 2002

Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/SOC.XXI

Scope and Contents

The records cover club administration and activities, especially lectures and meets.


  • Creation: 1882 - 2002


Conditions Governing Access

From the Management Group:

The University Archives are generally freely available to the holder of a reader's ticket for the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR. Restrictions on access are imposed on certain categories of sensitive record: financial, governmental and personal, by order of the originating body or under data protection legislation. Access information, including opening hours and how to obtain a reader's ticket, appears as part of the Library's web site (

Biographical / Historical

The club was founded during the winter months of 1905-6 by William John Rawson Calvert and Hugh Stewart, both undergraduates at Trinity College. It has had three main aims: to arrange lecture series during term, facilitate climbing outings or 'meets' throughout the year and publish a journal, Cambridge Mountaineering. In 1929, it was given the library of mountaineering books and journals amassed by George Wherry (1852-1928), the noted Alpine climber, a surgeon at Addenbrookes Hospital and University Lecturer in Surgery 1884-1914. This became the core of an extensive club library: the Wherry Library.


0.75 linear metre(s) (0.75 metres) : paper and photograph

Language of Materials


Immediate Source of Acquisition

The records were transferred as a gift to the University Archives from the Scott Polar Research Institute, where they were being given a temporary home together with the Wherry Library, by Mark Roodhouse, then Wherry Librarian, on behalf of the Club, on 9 Oct. 2002.

Related Materials

Readers interested in the contents of the Wherry Library should contact the Wherry Librarian via the Club website.


For a history of the Club, see the Club website at


This online catalogue was completed in July 2004.


Cambridge University Mountaineering Club

Finding aid date

2004-07-28 16:47:28+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom