Ballarat (inhabited place)
Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
Address from the women of Ballarat and Ballarat East in the colony of Victoria to the women of England
197 x 150 mm. An exterior view of this conservatory, a large wooden construction built from slats in order to let in light while giving protection against wind.
Print at RCMS 353/2/136.
197 x 146 mm. An aerial view taken from the top of a building, and looking down at the intersection between Sturt Street and Lydiard Street, with town and country visible beyond. The large building with the tower at the corner of the two streets is the Post Office, built in 1864.
202 x 148 mm. A view from a hill of mined rubble, looking towards the neat wooden buildings of the mine.
202 x 150 mm. A rather dark print showing the front façade of the building; various wings were still being added in 1887.
196 x 147 mm. A view looking down Lydiard Street, towards Sturt Street and beyond, with the Post Office beyond the junction on the right.
200 x 153 mm. A view from Black Hill looking towards Ballarat and showing wasteland and excavations from the mines. The Town Hall tower can be seen on the skyline.
201 x 150 mm. A view looking along this wide street, the main thoroughfare in Ballarat, with men sitting under an ornate lamp post in the foreground. The tower in the background at the left belongs to the Town Hall, built 1870-72.
201 x 154 mm. A view across a (man made?) lake towards a hill created from goldmining excavations, with mine buildings in the background.
Nothing is known of the provenance of this collection of lantern slides and glass plates. The images likely were created to illustrate lectures given at the RCS.
198 x 148 mm. A view looking down Sturt Street, with two men, one holding a bicycle, in the foreground, and the Town Hall at the right of the picture on the other side of the road. This building, with a rather ponderous clock-tower, was designed by C.O. Cuthbert and built between 1870 and 1872.