Adelaide (inhabited place)
Found in 44 Collections and/or Records:
285 x 165 mm. A rather darkly printed black and white photograph looking towards South Adelaide from Montefiore Hill, with the Adelaide Oval at the bottom of the hill. An almost identical viewpoint to Y3082A/13, although taken from a higher position. The towers of the Post Office and Town Hall can be seen right of centre, with the Mount Lofty Ranges encircling the town.
Showing the steamer moored at Adelaide Harbour.
260 x 205 mm. A view out over Franklin Street, to the edge of the city, but with open country in the distance, and a timber yard behind Franklin Street.
216 x 168 mm. A view from the foothills of the Mount Lofty Ranges. Little of the city can be discerned but the picture shows cultivated fields on the plain outside the city.
260 x 205 mm. A three-quarter front view of the brick building, with students standing in front. The Agricultural College at Roseworthy is the oldest in Australia, founded in 1884.
260 x 200 mm. A view down the central path of the gardens, with statues and a fountain in the centre. After a false start in 1839, the real beginning of the Adelaide Botanical Gardens was in 1855 when a committee was formed and a site of 40 acres on the South Bank of the River Torrens was chosen for the Gardens. The gardens opened to the public in 1859.
260 x 205 mm. A view across the small lake, with pampas grass growing on an islet in the centre, towards the lawn where a man in white stands beside a tall tree.
265 x 200 mm. A view of the rose garden, with two greenhouses in the background.
260 x 200 mm. A view of the building with nurses and children standing on the first floor verandah. A similar design, although considerably larger and more ornate, to the public school in Grote Street (Y3082A/9), and with a large central fleche. Designed by Charles McMinn (1844-1884) but his part of the extended hospital was demolished in 1967.
260 x 205 mm. A front view of the two storey building, with a central portico supported by four columns.
260 x 200 mm. A view of the Post Office building from Victoria Square. The Post Office was begun in 1867, Prince Alfred laying the foundation stone during his tour of Australia, and completed in 1872. The tower behind the Post Office belongs to the Town Hall, built in 1866. Both buildings were designed by the Architectural partnership of E.W. Wright and E.J. Woods.
260 x 200 mm. A three-quarter front view of the printing office, an imposing three-floor bluestone building. With a pony trap standing in front of the building.
265 x 200 mm. Showing a group of about 60 Aboriginal Australians in European dress. There is a policeman standing to the left.
A guide to Adelaide prepared for Royal Visit Year.
216 x 166 mm. A view looking down William Street, Adelaide’s main thoroughfare, with horse cabs lined up in the centre of the street and the towers of the Post Office and the Town Hall visible on the skyline.
260 x 205 mm. A view across the lake, with a small fountain in the centre and animal houses beyond. A rockery behind the lake has a Union Jack upon which is written ‘Mount Wallaby’.
Lists of names and addresses of the members of the Adelaide and Perth Associations as at 1st January, 1945, 1945
These records relate to various associations formed in Australia, India, Ceylon and South Africa by residents of Malaya displaced by the war. They provided information and assistance to evacuees, civilian internees, and prisoners of war.
Rules of the organisations, lists of members, minutes of meetings, memoranda, circulars, indemnity records and related correspondence (343 sheets).
260 x 195 mm. A front view of the court, with an imposing Roman Doric portico, which stands in King William Street. Built for the Police Court in 1867, when William Hanson was Colonial Architect, it became the Local and Insolvency Courts in 1891.
The menu for the banquet at Parliament House, Adelaide, 23 March 1954, in honour of the Royal Visitors.
260 x 195 mm. A view from one side of what is now the Jervois Wing of the State Library of South Australia. An ornate building, with towers and roofs in French Renaissance style, it took from 1879 to 1884 to build, although the wing of the building shown here, housing the Art Gallery, was opened in 1881. A statue of Robert Burns now stands at the nearest corner. Design of the building attributed to G.T. Light (1838-1911).
260 x 200 mm. A three-quarter front view of the building from Victoria Square. The building was completed in 1881.
260 x 200 mm. A view down the street, which was at this time predominantly residential, with tramlines and a horse tram in the distance. North Terrace lies directly south of and parallel to the River Torrens and has always been a sought-after area of Adelaide. The building nearest the camera is the Adelaide Club House, designed by E.A. Hamilton and completed in 1864.
260 x 200 mm. A view of the buildings with gardens in front. The west front of the building is at the right of the picture, with a wing to the left not seen in the previous photograph.