Saint Helena (island)
Found in 32 Collections and/or Records:
204 x 144 mm. View looking along a wooded hillside towards mountains in the Sandy Bay area of Saint Helena.
206 x 152 mm. View of the wooded summit of Diana's Peak.
123 x 84 mm.
200 x 148 mm. Showing workers and managers posed outside the mill with two cart-loads of processed flax fibre.
General Sports Ground, Francis Plain - showing Central Ridges and Diana's Peak (highest point of the island mark X), 1900
204 x 141 mm. View from a hillside looking down onto the sports ground at the head of James Valley, with Diana's Peak (2685 feet) in the distance. There is no visible cross on the front of this print, but one appears on the reverse which corresponds with the highest point visible in the photograph.
202 x 151 mm. View looking across the lawn towards Government House, known as Plantation House. The building is ashlar faced with a hipped roof. The building rises two storeys and is seven bays wide, the only decorative touches being the projecting porch and the rusticated quoins. It was built in 1792 and remodelled in 1816. The Plantation is situated three miles inland from Jamestown.
198 x 144 mm. Showing cartloads of flax arriving at the Government Mill at Longwood. Flax was first introduced into Saint Helena in 1874 when the Colonial and Foreign Fibre Company set up machinery in Jamestown. This initial venture failed, but in 1907 a processing mill was set up by the Government at Longwood and in a few years the product became the only staple industry in the colony.
208 x 148 mm. General view looking across the Government House plantation towards Government House itself.
207 x 147 mm. View at Hutt's Gate near Longwood, showing the small corrugated iron church of Saint Matthew with rocky hills behind. The cross mentioned in the caption cannot be seen on the front of this print but may be referring to a cross appearing on the reverse. The observatory mentioned is that built by Edmund Halley, who visited Saint Helena in 1677 to observe the transit of Mercury and to make a catalogue of the stars of the southern hemisphere.
140 x 201 mm. View looking west across Jamestown, with part of the Castle and St James' Church in the foreground, towards 'Jacob's Ladder', a 699 step stairway which climbs the hill behind the town to the barracks on the summit. The 'Ladder' was originally constructed in 1829 as an inclined plane cableway for the St Helena Railway Company, but its unreliability caused it to be allowed to fall into disrepair. It was made into a stepped route by the Royal Engineers in 1871.
205 x 142 mm. View from the roadstead looking along Chapel Valley, with the buildings of Jamestown clustered near the water's edge in the foreground. Fronting the Esplanade are the Castle and St James' Church.
142 x 203 mm. View from the top of the hill looking down Jacob's Ladder onto the town below. Visible in the picture are St James' Church, the Grand Parade, and the Castle beyond. Immediately behind the church, at the foot of the ladder, is the prison.
145 x 204 mm. View from the hills behind the town, looking north along Chapel Valley towards the sea, with the buildings of Jamestown running along the valley floor.
203 x 143 mm. Showing a variety of lace items on display in a room in the Lace School. The school was closed in 1917.
'The log book of Capt. John Edwards, R.N. Given to Robert Stafford Edwards by his Aunt Miss Jane Edwards 1880. Solihull. Warwickshire.'
202 x 140 mm. View from Old Longwood looking down on the buildings which were built for Napoleon but which he never occupied. The buildings were later turned over to farm use. Flagstaff Hill and Barn Rock can be seen in the background.
203 x 149 mm. General view looking across fields towards Longwood House.
201 x 138 mm. View looking eastwards from near Jamestown towards Flagstaff Hill (2275 feet) with Barn Cliff beyond. In the foreground are valleys and partly wooded hillside.
201 x 142 mm. View looking south-west from the centre of the island across wooded hills and valleys towards High Peak (2616 feet).
206 x 145 mm. View looking north along Main Street, Jamestown, with the spire of St James' Church visible in the background, and an ornate cast-iron drinking fountain in the centre of the street in the foreground.
200 x 137 mm. General view of the single storey house occupied by Napoleon Bonaparte during his exile and imprisonment on Saint Helena from 1815 until his death in 1821.
139 x 204 mm. View from the hillside above looking down on the grove containing the railings and slab which mark the site of Napoleon's tomb. The body was exhumed and returned to France in 1840.
204 x 132 mm. View looking towards Oakbank, formerly the episcopal residence, with the hills of the Central Ridges beyond. Oakbank is one of the two oldest houses in Saint Helena.
Engravings and watercolours dating mainly from the early nineteenth century, many of which relate to the period of Napoleon's detention on St Helena (1815-1821). There are a number of pieces by George Hutchins Bellasis (1778-1822), who spent eight months on St Helena, 1804-1805, and revisited the island in 1812. The collection includes five coloured engravings and a watercolour sketch of Ascension Island, which was a dependency of St Helena from 1922.