Kingston (parish (political))
Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:
230 x 178 mm. A view looking down on Kingston, the Harbour and the surrounding countryside from the Long Mountain.
166 x 115 mm. General exterior view. The caption on the reverse reads 'The new cement factory at Rockfort, at the eastern end of Kingston Harbour, is expected eventually to produce 8000 tons a month for home consumption in addition to a useful amount for export. The clay comes from Kingston Harbour and the limestone and gypsum from nearby mountains'.
The commission of Major Guise as Justice of the Peace for Kingston, Jamaica, 4 December 1928 (1 page), bearing the signatures of the Governor, Sir Reginald Stubbs, and the Colonial Secretary, A.S. Jelf, and the seal of the colony. There is an accompanying undated photocopy of a biographical entry on Guise, possibly produced when the collection was first catalogued in 1988.
165 x 105 mm. The Bishop, with upraised arms, is either dedicating the memorial or giving the final benediction. The Rt. Rev. David Williams Bentley (d. 1970) was appointed Assistant Bishop of Jamaica in 1919 and was Bishop of Barbados 1927-1945.
425 x 135 mm. A general panorama with the Acting Governor standing by the memorial before unveiling, taken from a building in Church Street and showing the entire parade. The plan of the ceremony on the Order of Service and the clarity of the photograph make it possible to identify the service units and the various local bodies - Boy Scouts, police, disabled soldiers in wheel chairs, etc. A photographer with a tripod camera is in the foreground.
239 x 188 mm. A view showing various kinds of palms and shrubs with paths and lawns in the background. Probably the Hope Gardens.
230 x 181 mm. A view from the top floor of a building looking along King Street with mountains in the distance.
229 x 180 mm. A view from the harbour looking along King Street towards the mountains in the distance. The street itself is crowded with promenading Jamaicans, while in the foreground stands the Metcalfe Statue with the Victoria Market to the right.
230 x 177 mm. A view from the harbour showing steamers moored at the wharves on the Kingston dockside, with mountains in the distance.
Modern multi-storied buildings now adorn Kingston's waterfront in place of shrubbery and ramshackle warehouses. The temporary headquarters of the Seabed Authority is located in this area, 1959 - 1982
370 x 300 mm.
Princess Margaret, as Queen Elizabeth's representative, reads the Throne Speech at the Opening of Parliament on 7 August 1962, 1962-08-07
370 x 300 mm. Daily Gleaner photograph.
117 x 147 mm. The caption on the reverse reads 'The Manager of the Kingston slaughter house, Dr. G.O. Rushie-Grey, lectures students on meat inspection'.
105 x 160 mm. Showing Colonel Herbert Bryan, who performed the ceremony in the absence of the Governor Sir Leslie Probyn, standing beside the cross. (Sir) Herbert Bryan (1865-1950) had a distinguished career as a soldier, and was Colonial Secretary of the Gold Coast 1904-1914, and of Jamaica 1914-1925, though he was absent from the post when on active service in World War I (dispatches five times, D.S.O.), K.B.E. 1925.
The Norman Manley International Airport, one of the busiest and most modern in the Caribbean, handles a monthly average of 1,170 commercial flights and an average of 27,000 passengers monthly, 1959 - 1982
250 x 200 mm. Institute of Jamaica photograph by Keith A. Morrison.
99 x 76 mm. Showing the centre of the gardens which face the Kingston Government Offices.