Kuching (inhabited place)
Found in 36 Collections and/or Records:
Showing the entrance to the temple, a single storey building with ornately decorated roof ridges.
View looking along a tree-shaded path in a Kuching garden.
General view of a European house in Kuching, a two storey building with a colonnaded verandah on the ground floor. The verandah on the floor above is shaded with cane blinds.
146 x 105 mm. General view of the front of the temple.
Copy of a letter describing the bombing of Kuching during the Second World War and Kelley's eventual evacuation to Sydney, following a trek through the jungle of Dutch Borneo (16 sheets).
View looking across a grass compound towards the government offices, a row of single storied whitewashed buildings with verandahs and tiled roofs.
View looking along a waterfront street in Kuching, the capital of Sarawak.
A street scene.
148 x 104 mm. View from the Rajah’s Palace looking across the Sarawak River towards the main part of the town. The square crenelated building near the landing stage is the guardhouse, with the prison beyond (see Y3035A/10). [Shelford plate XXV].
147 x 103 mm. View of a section of the track on race day, with spectators lining the course, and thatched huts beyond. [Shelford plate XXIX].
251 x 168 mm. General view of the harbour and waterfront area of Kuching, the capital of Sarawak, with mountains in the distance.
General view looking along the Sarawak River towards the town, with Gunong (mountain) Matang in the distance.
154 x 104 mm. A view looking down on the Padang with figrues spelling out the word Merdaka (independence) across the stadium.
154 x 104 mm. View looking down on the parade.
Extracts from the diaries and letters of Miss Ella Christie describing her travels to the Malay Archipelago made by Hugh Bryson:
1. 'Malaya in 1904' (17 sheets; 2 copies).
2. 'Kuching in 1904' (6 sheets; 2 copies). The file also contains an offprint from its publication in the 'Sarawak Museum Journal', 10 (1961), 43-49.
156 x 105 mm. General view of front façade.
108 x 157 mm. General view of the multi-storied modern Secretariat building.
143 x 103 mm. View from the driveway of the Palace of the Rajahs of Sarawak. The Astana (built c 1870) consists of a conventional two storey verandahed house in bungalow style fronted by a crenelated stone tower in Gothic taste. This latter housed the billiard room, with the principal reception rooms on the first floor of the main block. In the left background can be seen one of the bedroom wings. The ground floor contained the Rajah’s offices, guardroom, kitchen and bathrooms.
133 x 103 mm. View looking across the Sarawak River towards the Rajah’s Palace, with a boathouse on the riverbank in the foreground. For a closer view, see Y3035A/5. [Shelford plate XXVII].
147 x 103 mm. View from the lawn of the main façade of the Borneo Company headquarters at Kuching, a two storey building with a central projecting entrance porch, verandahed the whole way round the building on both floors. On the ground floor the verandah is supported on whitewashed or stuccoed columns, on the floor above by less substantial wooden posts.
General view of the dispensary building from the driveway, with rickshaw drivers in the foreground.