South Australia (state)
Found in 123 Collections and/or Records:
205 x 150 mm. A view down the road, with a suited man standing at the roadside in front of a house partially obscured by trees. With a wooded hill behind.
200 x 150 mm. A view down a county road, with a white open-topped car parked on the road. Beyond are wooded hills, with some land reclaimed and cultivated.
200 x 150 mm. A similar view to Y3082C/3, but a back view of the same car (registration 55) and with the hills behind more extensively cultivated.
205 x 150 mm. Again a view of similar countryside to Y3082C/2-4, looking down the road and with a back view of the same car, but no sign of cultivation on the hills. The pictures are almost certainly of one area and taken on the same day. A possible location would be somewhere in the Mount Lofty Range of hills outside Adelaide, where the countryside is very like this.
285 x 165 mm. A rather darkly printed black and white photograph looking towards South Adelaide from Montefiore Hill, with the Adelaide Oval at the bottom of the hill. An almost identical viewpoint to Y3082A/13, although taken from a higher position. The towers of the Post Office and Town Hall can be seen right of centre, with the Mount Lofty Ranges encircling the town.
Showing the steamer moored at Adelaide Harbour.
260 x 205 mm. A view out over Franklin Street, to the edge of the city, but with open country in the distance, and a timber yard behind Franklin Street.
216 x 168 mm. A view from the foothills of the Mount Lofty Ranges. Little of the city can be discerned but the picture shows cultivated fields on the plain outside the city.
260 x 205 mm. A three-quarter front view of the brick building, with students standing in front. The Agricultural College at Roseworthy is the oldest in Australia, founded in 1884.
260 x 200 mm. A view from the railway track towards the station, with the stationmaster and others on the platform, and a passenger train drawing in to the station. Aldgate lies between Crafters and Bridgwater in the Mount Lofty Ranges and the section of the railway to Aldgate was opened in March 1883, the last 21 miles of the line costing £20, 500 per mile to construct.
Showing Archdeacon Langley and Canon Bate standing by a light plane.
A series of slides showing the CCCS's work among rural communities in Australia.
260 x 200 mm. A view down the central path of the gardens, with statues and a fountain in the centre. After a false start in 1839, the real beginning of the Adelaide Botanical Gardens was in 1855 when a committee was formed and a site of 40 acres on the South Bank of the River Torrens was chosen for the Gardens. The gardens opened to the public in 1859.
260 x 205 mm. A view across the small lake, with pampas grass growing on an islet in the centre, towards the lawn where a man in white stands beside a tall tree.
265 x 200 mm. A view of the rose garden, with two greenhouses in the background.
260 x 200 mm. A view across country, with two stone houses in foreground. Bridgewater is 23 miles by rail east of Adelaide in the Mount Lofty Ranges. In 1850 the district was one of the chief wheat growing areas in South Australia, and in 1852 a watermill was built by John Dunn, who named the town; the mill can be seen on the left below the large white building.
260 x 200 mm. A view of the building with nurses and children standing on the first floor verandah. A similar design, although considerably larger and more ornate, to the public school in Grote Street (Y3082A/9), and with a large central fleche. Designed by Charles McMinn (1844-1884) but his part of the extended hospital was demolished in 1967.
In the Gulf of St Vincent.
260 x 205 mm. A front view of the two storey building, with a central portico supported by four columns.
260 x 200 mm. A view of similar country to Y3082A/33, but with less evidence of farming.
260 x 200 mm. A view over wooded hills, dotted here and there with houses and cultivated fields.
Print at RCMS 353/2/130.
260 x 200 mm. A view of a curve in the track leading to the tunnel entrance. The Adelaide Melbourne express first ran in January 1887, only after overcoming great engineering and political difficulties.
A blank admittance card to the Royal Reception at Parliament House, South Australia, 23 March 1954.