Showing Collections: 1 - 22 of 22
Ordonnance pour la formation des bataillons et l'exercice avec les plans de la formation d'un bataillon en ordre de bataille ou parade, ainsy que les differentes conversions. It is signed at the foot of the title page 'Chique fecit en 1766', and at the end of some sections 'L'original est signé Le Comte de Daun'. The manual contains 25 coloured diagrams showing military formations. It is in French, with subheadings, notes and commands in German. There is an index. 389pp.
A wide range of material compiled in preparation for the D.E.A.B. A few letters and other items are in French, German and Italian.
German translation of the satirical Dutch newspaper Extraordinare Courant, 1684 (8pp.), including an account of Bacharach wine, a political puppet play, and the invention of a camera obscura in Oxford.
Sketchbook of an unidentified German architect, containing around 130 sketches of neo-classical buildings in Russia (St. Petersburg and Moscow) and Germany (including Hamburg, Stuttgart, Munich, and Husum and Brunsbüttel, Schleswig-Holstein). There are sketches of houses, churches, monuments, and details, with some designs by the architect himself. The sketches are in pencil, with some heightened in ink. Nos. 1-114 are listed and described in German in an index at the back of the volume.
26 sheets of miscellaneous pages from German business accounts and other documents, c.1600-60, cut to uniform size and used in book bindings. There are also 5 parchment scraps from a possibly 15th century service book, some with traces of an illuminated initial, removed from book bindings by Jack Lunzer, 1982.
Seven German moral and religious treatises, incomplete, in a variety of hands. - were apparently once bound together.
Harmonisations of 160 chorales, with melodies heavily ornamented. Includes index. With contemporary bookplate of Ioh. Iac. Salomon, and modern bookplate of Alfred Cortot.
Copyist's MSS of songs, for voice and piano, used by engraver for first edition published by Russicher Musikverlag, Berlin, 1912. With plate numbers R.M.V. 130, 131 marked in pencil at bottom of first page of each song. Words in Russian, German (translated by Berthold Feiwel) and French (translated by M.D. Calvocoressit).
The collection principally consists of Prynne's literary papers and correspondence, together with documents relating to his career as an academic.
Don Juan: eine heroisch Romische Oper in 2 Acten von Weiland W.A. Mozart; im volständigan Klavier-Auszug mit deutschen und italienischen Texte. Copied by Giuseppe Teodoro Rippka from a printed edition [Wien. Im Verlage der K.K. priv. chemischen Druckerey am Graben. No.612, , publ. no.1400].
Cuttings from various publications on the 1892 disturbances, some in French and German with typescript translations. There is a note at the front by H.B. Thomas, October 1968: 'Formerly in Secretariat Library, Entebbe, Uganda, used by Margery Pelham when writing "Lugard, the years of adventure"'.
Maddocks has written many articles on postal history, the majority reflecting his primary interest in the history of the Cameroons, particularly during the colonial period. He is the author of a monograph examining postal arrangements during the conquest of German Kamerun by the British and French during the First World War. His works also cover Nigeria, West Africa, Gambia, Zambia, German East and South West Africa, Togo, Ascension, St. Helena, Papua New Guinea, Jamaica and Barbados.
Includes travel diaries and correspondence with family, friends and colleagues. Also included are numerous photographs and negatives of European churches and architectural features.
- ARCHON code (for CUL materials)
- Archives and MSS Dept. (GBR/0012) 18
- Royal Commonwealth Soc. (GBR/0115) 4
- Africa (continent) 3
- North and Central America (continent) 2
- Uganda (nation) 2
- Architecture 1
- Archive education 1
- Archive science 1
- Australia (nation) 1
- Barbados (nation) 1
- Bulgaria 1
- Cameroon (nation) 1
- Canada (nation) 1
- Catholicism 1
- China 1
- Church architecture 1
- Church history 1
- Congo (general region) 1
- Family papers 1
- Gambia (nation) 1
- Historians 1
- Hong Kong 1
- Hungary 1
- Jamaica (nation) 1
- Japan 1
- Kenya (nation) 1
- Morocco (nation) 1
- New Zealand (nation) 1
- Nigeria (nation) 1
- Oceania (continent) 1
- Palaeography 1
- Poetry 1
- Poland 1
- Romania 1
- Russia 1
- Saint Helena (dependent state) 1
- Scandinavia 1
- Tanzania (nation) 1
- Togo (nation) 1
- Travel abroad 1
- Travel writing 1
- Ukraine 1
- Women 1
- Zambia (nation) 1 ∧ less
- English 15
- French 10
- Italian 5
- Chinese 3
- Dutch; Flemish 2
- Japanese 2
- Russian 2
- Spanish; Castilian 2
- Arabic 1
- Danish 1
- Hawaiian 1
- Indonesian 1
- Korean 1
- Persian 1
- Polish 1
- Portuguese 1
- Urdu 1 ∧ less
- Blennerhassett, Lady Charlotte Julie, 1843-1917 (Countess of Leyden, biographer) 1
- Blennerhassett, Sir Rowland, 1839-1909 (4th Baronet political writer) 1
- Daun, Leopold Josef Count von, 1705-1766 (Count von Daun) 1
- Forster, Leonard Wilson, 1913-1997 (German scholar) 1
- Galbraith, Vivian Hunter, 1889-1976 (historian) 1
- Gray, Sir (John Milner, 1889-1970, Knight and colonial administrator) 1
- Jardine, Matheson and Co. Ltd 1
- Jardine, William, 1784-1843 (physician and merchant) 1
- Johnston, Douglas Hope, 1874 - 1957 1
- Lugard, Frederick John Dealtry, 1858 - 1945 (Baron Lugard, colonial administrator, soldier and author) 1
- Mary, 1542-1587 (Queen of Scots) 1
- Matheson and Co Ltd 1
- Matheson, Sir Nicholas James Sutherland, 1796-1878 (1st Baronet, merchant and politician) 1
- Oschinsky, Dorothea, 1910-95 (historian and teacher) 1
- Parkes, Sir Harry Smith, 1828-1885 (Knight, diplomat) 1
- Paulin, Roger Cole, b 1937 (academic, emeritus professor of German, University of Cambridge) 1
- Phillip, Arthur, 1738 - 1814 (Vice Admiral, colonial governor) 1
- Power, Eileen Edna le Poer, 1889-1940 (economic historian, wife of M.M. Postan) 1
- Prynne, Jeremy Halvard, b 1936 (poet) 1
- Rutherford, Ernest, 1871-1937 (Baron Rutherford of Nelson, physicist) 1
- Simpson, Donald Herbert, 1920 - 2002 (Librarian of the Royal Commonwealth Society) 1
- Stravinsky, Igor Fyodorovich, 1882-1971 (composer) 1
- Tawney, Richard Henry, 1880-1962 (historian and political thinker) 1
- Thomas, Harold Beken, 1888 - 1971 (colonial administrator and historian) 1 ∧ less
The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.