Family Correspondence, 1903 - 2003
Scope and Contents
The collection sheds light on the private life of Maurice Hankey, who was a pivotal public figure at the heart of decision-making at the highest level during both World Wars (and for an impressive amount of the twentieth century). It also documents the life of a woman during the twentieth century, providing insights into social history and domestic arrangements, as well as documenting the role of a wife and mother. Articles and speech notes (AHKY 5) show Lady Hankey's more public life and her conviction of the importance of good nutrition, especially during food shortages of the Second World War.
The collection also includes transcripts of original material (both from the papers of Lady Hankey and of her husband, 1st Baron Hankey) which were prepared by Lady Benn and supplemented by additional explanatory notes and recollections.
- 1903 - 2003
Conditions Governing Access
One item within the collection (AHKY 3/1/6) is currently closed for conservation reasons.
13 archive box(es)
Language of Materials
Finding aid date
- Benn, Ursula Helen Alers, 1909 - 2006 (née Hankey)
- Hankey, Adeline, 1882 - 1979 (née de Smidt, wife of 1st Lord Hankey)
- Hankey, Christopher Alers, 1911 (civil servant)
- Hankey, Henry Arthur Alers, 1914 (civil servant)
- Hankey, Maurice Pascal Alers, 1877 - 1963 (Lord Hankey of the Chart, civil servant)
- Hankey, Robert Maurice Alers, 1905 (2nd Lord Hankey of the Chart)