Papers of Chamberlin, Powell and Bon
Scope and Contents
This section includes those who were members of the New Hall Association and/or the Third Foundation Association but who were not technically members of the College, such as Alison Duke and Greta Burkill. Some were involved in early fundraising, such as Joan Wheeler-Bennett, or have been benefactors to the College, such as Julia Pleister. The section also includes some papers of the architects, Chamberlin, Powell and Bon.
Biographical / Historical
The architectural practice of Chamberlin, Powell and Bon was founded in 1952 by Geoffry Powell (1920-1999), Peter (‘Joe’) Chamberlin (1919-1978) and Christoph Bon (1921-1999). All three were teaching at Kingston Polytechnic when they entered a design competition in 1951 for the Golden Lane Estate for the Corporation of the City of London. Powell won the competition and the three formed a partnership to undertake the project. On completion of the Golden Lane Estate they won the commission to design the adjacent Barbican development, also for the Corporation of London. New Hall, Cambridge (now Murray Edwards College) was another major project, as was the expansion of the campus at the University of Leeds. Charles Greenberg became an additional partner of the practice in 1960. Frank Woods also became an additional partner and in 1985 the name of the practice became Chamberlin Powell Bon & Woods. Many of the works of the practice are now Listed Buildings.
Language of Materials
Chamberlin, Powell and Bon
Finding aid date
Part of the Murray Edwards College (New Hall Archive) Repository
Archivist, Rosemary Murray Library
Murray Edwards College
Cambridge CB3 0DF United Kingdom
+44 (0)1223 762297