Skip to main content

Cambridge University Libraries are providing a blend of online and controlled in-person services. Please see our website for more details.

Diocese of Central Tanganyika [i.e. Tanzania] 1927-1952

 Fonds
Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y30469G

Scope and Contents

A collection of 137 photographs and other pictures. The collection was mounted on sheets of brown paper for display at exhibitions and bazaars in the 1950s, but has now been transferred to an album. The photographs represent various aspects of the activities of the Diocese, and were gathered from local mission staff, who in many cases wrote descriptive notes on the backs. The majority are amateur snapshots not exceeding 14 x 8 cm, but there are a few larger ones, including some of people and scenery (plates 125-129) probably supplied by the Public Relations Department. In general the subject arrangement has been retained; the captions are based on information on the backs of the photographs or appearing on the display sheets.

The Diocese of Central Tanganyika was established in 1927 from part of the Diocese of Mombasa; its area was Tanganyika west of longitude 38 degrees east and north of latitude 8 degrees south, some 250,000 square miles. It was chiefly financed by the Church Missionary Society in Australia and Tasmania, whose General Secretary, G.A. Chambers, became its first Bishop, and who obtained many volunteers from Australia. After his retirement in 1947 the Rt. Rev. W. Wynn Jones became Bishop, followed by the Rt. Rev. A. Stanway in 1951. The first African Bishop was Yohana Madinda (1971).

The photographs were the property of Miss Minnie Dennant, who died in November 1983. She had moved to Windsor during the Second World War after being bombed out of London, and had assisted Mrs Chambers, wife of the 1st Bishop of Central Tanganyika, in work for the Diocese, later taking over from her as Hon. Secretary of the Central Tanganyika Diocese Association, and continuing until Bishop Stanway transferred all the work to Tanganyika. Miss Reddick wrote 'they are really a gift from Miss Tennant.'



Dates

  • 1927 - 1952

Conditions Governing Access

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact mss@lib.cam.ac.uk. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).

Extent

137 item(s) (137 images)

Language of Materials

English

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

Good condition.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Presented to the Royal Commonwealth Society by Miss Phyllis Reddick of Old Windsor through the Rev. J.W. Staples in March 1984.

Existence and Location of Copies

This collection is available on microfiche: Africa, fiche numbers 125-126.

General

This collection level description was entered by WS using information from the original typescript catalogue. The assistance of Miss Jean Woods, Librarian of the Church Missionary Society, is gratefully acknowledged.

Originator(s)

Various

Includes index.
Date
2006-08-22 15:42:25+00:00
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Contact:
Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom


The UK Archival Thesaurus has been integrated with our catalogue, thanks to Kings College London and the AIM25 project for their support with this.