Jackson and Archer scrapbook
Scope and Contents
This volume of c. 160 pages was compiled by Arthur C. Hunter, and was later passed to Lady Jackson. It contains material on Sir Frederick Jackson, Governor of Uganda (1911-1917), and his nephew Sir Geoffrey Archer, who served as Governor of Somaliland (1914-1923), Governor of Uganda (1923), and Governor-General of the Sudan (1924-1926). There are a few letters to A. C. Hunter from F. J. Jackson, but most of the items are printed cuttings. The scrapbook provides a record of the Jackson-Gedge expedition of 1888-1890, and has much on Uganda, Theodore Roosevelt in East Africa, and Rider Haggard. Subjects include:
1. Jackson-Gedge Expedition, 1889-1890.
2. Dr. Peters's activities, 1889-1890.
3. Lord Lugard in Uganda, 1890-1892.
4. Uganda Railway Parliamentary debate, 1892.
5. Sudanese Mutiny in Uganda, 1898.
6. Sir Charles Eliot’s resignation, 1904.
7. Roosevelt in East Africa, 1908; Winston Churchill in Cairo, 1921.
8. Rider Haggard.
9. Was Jackson the Captain Good of ‘King Solomon’s Mines’?
10. Sir Geoffrey Archer and Corfield, Somaliland, 1913.
11. Sir Geoffrey Archer, Governor-General of Sudan, 1925.
12. Jackson and Archer Personalia.
- 1888 - 1932
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
Biographical / Historical
Arthur C. Hunter was a cousin of Sir Frederick Jackson (1860-1929), and uncle of Sir Geoffrey Archer (1882-1964).
1 volume(s) (1 volume) : paper
Language of Materials
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Loose album cover and some loose pages.
Former / Other Reference
MSS 4 V
Other Finding Aids
Donald H. Simpson, ed., 'The manuscript catalogue of the library of the Royal Commonwealth Society' (London, 1975), p. 100-101.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Deposited at the Royal Commonwealth Society by Mr. H.B. Thomas.
The material has been microfilmed, and is listed on Reel 6 of: 'Africa through western eyes, parts 1 & 2: original manuscripts from the Royal Commonwealth Society Library at Cambridge University Library - a listing and guide to the microfilm collection' (2000), Adam Matthew Publications Ltd.
This collection level description was created by WS and MJC using information from Donald Simpson's R.C.S. catalogue.
Hunter, Arthur C, fl 1888-1932
- Africa (continent)
- Churchill, Sir (Winston Leonard Spencer, 1874-1965, Knight, statesman and historian)
- Gedge, Ernest, 1862 - 1935 (colonial administrator)
- Haggard, Sir (Henry Rider, 1856-1925, Knight, novelist)
- Jackson, Sir (Frederick John, 1860-1929, Knight, explorer, naturalist and administrator)
- Lugard, Frederick John Dealtry, 1858 - 1945 (Baron Lugard, colonial administrator, soldier and author)
- Somaliland (region (general))
- Sudan (nation)
- Uganda (nation)
- 2007-01-30 15:11:44+00:00
- Language of description
- Script of description