Correspondence on the Nautical Almanac Office, 1939 - 1956
Scope and Contents
(1) Miscellaneous correspondence and related material concerning the Nautical Almanac Office. There are papers regarding staff finance, including concession passes issued to staff, salaries, reference sheets and data supplied by the N.A.O. to H.G. Barker, Secretary and Cashier for the Royal Observatory, for making payments. There is also correspondence regarding Hollerith equipment for the N.A.O.; telegrams from the Colonial Office regarding Greenwich Mean Time and British Summer Time in the colonies; and correspondence concerning publications. The papers also include the following material:
Correspondence with the English Electric Company Ltd regarding the Digital Computer Deuce, 1956.
Reference sheet sent by the Astronomer Royal to the Hydrographer on the 'Apparent Places of Fundamental Stars', 1956.
Correspondence between R. Atkinson and D.H. Sadler, 1955, regarding how the year from mean vernal equinox to mean vernal equinox differs from the mean tropical year for the years 1767 to 1770.
Second report by D.H. Sadler on punched-card installations, 1952.
Correspondence with the Commanding Officer, HMS 'Devonshire', regarding H.O. 214 - 'Tables of Computed Altitude and Azimuth', 1951.
'Demonstration of the Hollerith Machines', a paper by D.H. Sadler, 1950.
Copy of the general instructions drawn up for Mr Harding when on detached duty on HMS 'Dalrymple', 1949.
Booklet on 'The Printing of Mathematical Tables' by W.J. Eckert and Ralph F. Haupt, 1947.
Report of a visit to the U.S. Naval Observatory on 22 January 1947, relating to the Hollerith equipment, 1947.
Reference sheet from the Hydrographer regarding the pricing of the 'Nautical Almanac', 1946.
Correspondence with K. Mayrhofer, Austria, regarding the orbit of small planets, 1946.
List of annual and periodical publications purchased through His Majesty's Stationary Office by the Royal Observatory, Greenwich, 1945.
Copy of the report by D.H. Sadler on the visit of the Royal Air Force Specialist Navigation Course, 1945.
Correspondence between the N.A.O. and the Astronomer Royal regarding the 'Astronomical Position Line Tables' by J. Garcia, 1945.
Correspondence between D.H. Sadler and H. Spencer Jones regarding the 'Matthews Potentiometer', 1945.
Correspondence between Private C.E. Johnson and H. Spencer Jones, 1944, regarding the heliometric coordinates of the planets of the solar system from 1800-2000.
Correspondence between D.H. Sadler and H. Spencer Jones regarding the exchange of the 'Nautical Almanac' and advance proofs, 1944.
Table showing the standard times kept in the Dominions in relation to London time, with footnotes showing the alterations in the Dominions during the war, 1944.
Report on the visit of the Royal Air Force Specialist Navigation Course to the N.A.O., 1944.
Correspondence with D.H. Sadler regarding the summertime in Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Union of South Africa, 1944.
Correspondence regarding the introduction of summertime at Cyprus at midnight, Greenwich Mean Time, 31 March 1943, to remain in force until midnight, Greenwich Mean Time, 31 October 1943.
Correspondence between Sir Cecil Clementi and H. Spencer Jones regarding the Chinese calendar of the 8th century B.C. and the chronology of the Olympic festivals, 1942.
Correspondence between D.H. Sadler and H. Spencer Jones regarding the computation of geodetic distances, 1941.
Correspondence regarding blackout times, 1941.
Correspondence between G.E. Ellwood and H. Spencer Jones, 1941, regarding the phases of the Moon for 1942, for the compilation of the Masonic Calendar.
Lists of the Moon's phases for the years 1942-1946, compiled 1941.
Correspondence between Union Astronomer and H. Spencer Jones, 1941, regarding the Moon's phases.
Correspondence with the N.A.O. regarding a fire at Hammonds, printers for the N.A.O., and the loss of material, 1940.
Copy of the N.A.O. Contingency Account, 1939-1940.
Correspondence with A. and F. Pears Ltd regarding information for 'The Pears' Encyclopaedia', 1939.
(2) Papers regarding work carried out by the Royal Observatory on behalf of the N.A.O. for other departments, including the following material:
Correspondence of 1956 regarding imprest advances relating to services carried out by the N.A.O. for the Air Ministry, 1955-1956.
Correspondence of 1955 regarding the second edition of A.P. 3270, Vol. 1, relating to work done by the N.A.O. for the Air Ministry.
Correspondence regarding Dr C.E. Adams of the New Zealand Astronomical Society and occultation predictions for Wellington and Dunedin, 1941-1944.
- 1939 - 1956
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 bundle(s) (1 bundle)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Air Ministry
- Atkinson, Robert d'Escourt, 1898 - 1982 (astronomer, physicist and inventor)
- Colonial Office
- English Electric Company Ltd
- His Majesty's Stationery Office
- Jones, Harold Spencer, Sir, 1890 - 1960 (Knight, astronomer)
- Nautical Almanac Office
- New Zealand
- New Zealand Astronomical Society
- Royal Air Force
- Sadler, Donald Harry, 1908 - 1987 (astronomer)
- South Africa
- United States Naval Observatory, Washington
- From the Series: Dyson, Frank Watson, Sir, 1868 - 1939 (Knight, astronomer) (Person)