Correspondence on the New Palace clock, 1857 - 1861
Scope and Contents
Correspondence concerning the clock for the New Palace at Westminster. The correspondents include A. de Morgan, J.F.W. Herschel, W. Whewell and F. Dent. The papers includes pages extracted from the 'Mechanics' Magazine'; pages and two diagrams extracted from 'The Builder'; a paper by E.T. Loseby 'on the Westminster Clock'; and a paper by W.L. Baker on 'the Great Bell of Westminster'. There are also several musical calculations of the notes made by the bell in the New Palace.
- 1857 - 1861
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 archive box(es) (1 box)
Language of Materials
Former / Other Reference
Finding aid date
- Dent, Edward John, 1790 - 1853 (chronometer maker)
- Herschel, John Frederick William, Sir, 1792 - 1871 (Knight, astronomer)
- Loseby, Edward Thomas, 1817 - 1890 (clockmaker)
- Morgan, Augustus de, 1806 - 1871 (mathematician)
- Whewell, William, 1794 - 1866 (Master of Trinity College, Cambridge)