Skip to main content

Wynward Square, 1870 - 1880

Reference Code: GBR/0115/RCS/Y308B/85

Scope and Contents

232 x 177 mm. A view of the square with a central grassed area surrounded by residential houses. The square had formerly been the site of the Military Barracks built by Governor Macquarie in 1822 and according to Maclehose ‘the biggest in the British Empire’. These barracks were demolished in 1848 and the square named after Major-General E.B. Wynward, who arrived as Commander of the British Forces in Australia and New Zealand in 1848.


  • Creation: 1870 - 1880

Conditions Governing Access

From the Fonds:

Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (


1 photographic print(s) : photograph

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom