Port of Newcastle Nobby’s, 1870 - 1880
Scope and Contents
242 x 192 mm. A view looking out over the roofs of the town towards Nobby’s Head, with shipping in the harbour and moored to wharves. Nobby’s Head was originally an island (first mentioned in Captain Cook’s log for May 1770), the breakwater being constructed between 1818 and 1846. The lighthouse, built in 1857, can just be seen: previously the island had served first as a convict labour camp and then as a quarantine station.
- 1870 - 1880
Conditions Governing Access
Unless restrictions apply, the collection is open for consultation by researchers using the Manuscripts Reading Room at Cambridge University Library. For further details on conditions governing access please contact email@example.com. Information about opening hours and obtaining a Cambridge University Library reader's ticket is available from the Library's website (www.lib.cam.ac.uk).
1 photographic print(s) : photograph