Skip to main content

Archives of the Department of Slavonic Studies, 1944 - 1984

Reference Code: GBR/0265/UA/SLAV

Scope and Contents

The coverage of departmental activities is limited. The majority of the records relate to Russian language courses provided for the armed services.


  • Creation: 1944 - 1984


Conditions Governing Access

Student and staff records are closed to scholars for 80 years from the date of creation under data protection legislation. Restrictions are clearly indicated in catalogue entries.

Conditions Governing Use

Requests to publish text should be addressed to the Keeper of University Archives and to publish photographs to the Head of Digital Content Unit, both at Cambridge University Library, West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DR.

Biographical / Historical

A Lectureship and Assistant Lectureship in Slavonic Studies were established during the 1930s, as part of the Department of Other Languages within the Modern and Medieval Languages Faculty. The Department of Slavonic Studies was established in 1948 with Dr Elizabeth Hill as the first Professor.


3.5 linear metre(s) : paper, photograph

Language of Materials


Immediate Source of Acquisition

SLAV.1 was transferred to the University Archives by L.R. Lewitter, Professor of Slavonic Studies, on 8 May 1980. SLAV.2 was transferred by the Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages Faculty on 5 May 1999. SLAV.3 was transferred on 21 June 2001 from among the papers of Dame Elizabeth Hill given to the Manuscripts Section in 1996-7. SLAV.4-8: no accession information.


The online catalogue was completed in November 2004 and emended in December 2004, February 2005, November 2006 and November 2007.


Department of Slavonic Studies

Finding aid date

1998-05-06 11:30:49+00:00

Repository Details

Part of the Cambridge University Library Repository

Cambridge University Library
West Road
Cambridge CB3 9DR United Kingdom